ODBC Error connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Druid_Elf
Participant

ODBC Error connection

Post by Druid_Elf »

Hi all,
We are migrating datastage 7.5 to 8 and I was changing the .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config file to be able to make a connection to a MSSQL database.
When I try to test the connection from unix (with DS_CONNECT) or when i try to import the table data in datastage i get the following error:

SQLConnect error: Status = -1 SQLState = 01000 Natcode = 145
[ODBC:145] [DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server Driver][libssclient22]ConnectionOpen (connect()).

I've checked some sites and found that SQLState 01000 is a general warning but I can't find anywhere what NATCODE = 145 is (in datastage he just sais CODE = 145).

This is the connection string in .odbc.ini:

[db_messagent]
Driver=/prd/lib/sft/dts/install/8.0.1/InformationServer/Server/branded_odbc/lib/
VMmsss22.so
Description=DataDirect SQL Server Wire Protocol
Database=DB_MESSAGENT
LogonID=<removed for positing issues>
Password=<removed for positing issues>
Address=192.168.240.180,1433
QuotedId=No
AnsiNPW=No

String in uvodbc.conifg:
<db_messagent>
DBMSTYPE = ODBC

Does anybody got an idea ?
Many thnx in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's an informational message (connection open), not an error.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Druid_Elf
Participant

Post by Druid_Elf »

If it's an informational message, can i try an sql statement after the DS_CONNECT to check if the connection really works ? (can't seem to find the command).

In datastage designer we still have the issue that if we want to import table definitions for the ODBC database that we get the same error as in unix but has the following prefix
DSR.MetaGeta(GET.DSNINFO)(SQLCONNECT('db_messagent','datawarehouse'):BCI Error : <unix error>

But it keeps doing that in an endless loops and never retrieves the data, that's why i am assuming that is not just informational.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DS_CONNECT (which may be DS.CONNECT) can be executed through Administrator client Command window. It's an interactive environment so you will need to use the Response window there.

Does it really say "<unix error>" (sic) when failing to import metadata?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Druid_Elf
Participant

Post by Druid_Elf »

I select the import tables for ODBC, select the DSN (db_messagent), then i enter the username and password, then datastage client hangs and after a while i get the following
Datastage Repository interface (name of the window with yellow triangle)

DSR.MetaGeta(GET.DSNINFO)(SQLConnect('db_messagent','datawarehouse')): BCI Error:
SQLSTATE=01000,CODE=145,[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server Driver][libssclient22]ConnectionOpen (connect())

Clicking OK results in an endless loop the error box (or warning).
Perhaps there is a way to supress this message ?[/img]
Druid_Elf
Participant

Post by Druid_Elf »

Problem has been solved. Apparently it was a firewall issue
srai
Participant

ConnectionOpen (connect()) -ERROR

Post by srai »

DSR.MetaGeta(GET.DSNINFO)(SQLConnect('db_messagent','datawarehouse')): BCI Error:
SQLSTATE=01000,CODE=145,[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC SQL Server Driver][libssclient22]ConnectionOpen (connect())

Druid_Elf wrote:Problem has been solved. Apparently it was a firewall issue
Hi,

Could you please explain me what the exact solution of this issues as you have mentioned it is a firewall issue.
How did you resolve this problem/

Thanks in advance!!!
Druid_Elf
Participant

Post by Druid_Elf »

The problem was that the unix server on which the new datastage environment was installed, was in an other network segment.
The ACL's of the routers did not allow connection from the unix machine (where DS was running) to the machine on which the database was running for an ODBC connection.
The network administrators changed the ACLs on the routers so that connection was allowed to the the target machine. Then the problem was resolved.
Hopefully this helps.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thank you for following through and letting us know. Turns out it was security rather than firewall.