Enabling Bulk Mode in DRS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Enabling Bulk Mode in DRS

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

In one of the post, i have read that we can enable bulk loading in DRS Stage also. Can you please explain , how to do it?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no "bulk" option in the DRS stage. What post? Can you include a link to it so we can see the context of the discussion?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

The topic is here

Code: Select all

The dynamic RDBMS Stage takes advantage of the native interface of the database. You can also load data in bulk mode. 

PeopleSoft's EPM delivers hundreds of jobs to move data from the ERP applications to the different layers of data warehouse. Only one version of each job is delivered. It can be deployed on different database platforms by setting a project level enviornmental variable that tells the RDBMS stage which driver to use at runtime. 
Even It is ok, to call some extra jobs or scripts in the before job subroutine to enable bulk mode. But , it is new to me, So need some examples.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The dynamic RDBMS Stage takes advantage of the native interface of the database. You can also load data in bulk mode.
Read that as meaning that you can load data in bulk mode if you use some other stage type than Dynamic RDBMS stage - that is, one of the bulk loader stage types.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Ok , Thanks for the immediate reply Ray.

Is there any other way to enable it, by calling another job, wherein I can use OCI Stage ?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You're missing the point. You don't "enable" it, there's nothing to enable. For bulk loading you have basically two choices:

1. You use one of the Bulk Loader stages. For example, for Oracle you could use the 'Oracle OCI Load' a.k.a. the ORAOCIBL stage in 'automatic' mode.

2. You do it the old fashioned way - generate a 'data file' and optionally whatever in the way of 'control' files you need and then you script a call to the native bulk loader. Continuing the Oracle analogy, build the .dat and .ctl files then call sqlldr.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
DS_SUPPORT
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DS_SUPPORT »

Thanks , I understood it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You might like to mark the thread as Resolved.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.