Is a routine possible as an alternative to Lookup Stage?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeshknl
Participant

Is a routine possible as an alternative to Lookup Stage?

Post by rajeshknl »

Hi

I have a situation where 1 sequential file populates 40 target tables. As i am using "External Filter stage" in my stream and other reasons i cant do a generic lookup before i split the data to 40 targets.

The temporary solution for this is i used 40 Lookup Stages one for each traget. The lookup is the last stage before the target.

But i realised i have to concatenate few columns(columns that i have retrived from Lookup) before i pass them to the target. I can do concatenate only in Trasnsformer stage so i need 40 Transformer stages now.

I am afraid the performance might be bad for large files. Each file size is approx 500MB.

My idea is to have a routine as first part of the sequence. This routine should pass the values looked up as parameters to the actual job.

My question now is " Is this feasible?" If so can anybody help me with writing the routine.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

But surely you'll end up with the same number of Transformer stages executing with this approach?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Moderator: please move to parallel forum
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rajeshknl
Participant

Post by rajeshknl »

I would have the same no of Transformer stages but atleast i can avoid Lookup stages. So how do i start to write the routine?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

rajeshknl wrote:So how do i start to write the routine?
You would start by designing it. What do you want it to do? Create a precise specification, including connecting to and disconnecting from database, creating and dropping cursor, binding variables, and all the other things you need to do with your particular database API.