getting the names of the parameters across all jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bala_135
Premium Member
Premium Member

getting the names of the parameters across all jobs

Post by bala_135 »

Hi,

My enviornment is like this
1.No sequence
2.We use a routine to run the jobs.

My requirement
I need to trace the parameter name which is used by all jobs

Approaches
1.Take a dsx and search for the names of the parameters.

2.Write a routine which gets the names of the jobs in the project and the job info routine to get the parameter names.Write to file ex(parameter name,jobname).Excelise it and search.

3.Using Administrator spool the results of the TCL commands and create jobs which gives the names of the jobs and categories.Filter only the jobs from specfic categories and wirte it to a file
ex(parameter name,jobname).

I agree all the process involves some manual work but it minimises the search by individual jobs.

Issues:-In Approach1,keeping track of the jobnames and parameters is somewhat difficult.
In Approach2,Writing a routine and writing to a file takes time beacause i am traversing all the jobs in the project to get the names.Ex if i have 1000 jobs 5 parameters(approx) 5000 lines is written is time consuming.The approach gives me the right result but sometimes my system hangs.

Thats why i want to write only the jobs based on specfic categories.
Kindly let me know any other approach would help to solve my requirement.

Any inputs most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Bala.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can script this using 'dsjob' or write a routine to loop through the jobs and get a list of parameters. And no, it won't take much time to run but can hang if you don't skip the job that is doing the work.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers