concatenation of values with null

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sujaoschin
Premium Member
Premium Member

concatenation of values with null

Post by sujaoschin »

I am doing concatenation of two column values if below condition is true

AB_GROUP has the value - 'switch'
AB_SUBGROUP has the value - NULL or empty

Condition
if Biseps_Genericcode.BISEPS_GENERICCODE = hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_CODE then hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_GROUP:" ":hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_SUBGROUP else @NULL

When I tried to concatenate for the above example for the true condition [ 'switch' with 'null' value] , I am getting the result of NULL in the output.

The output should be 'switch' . Why the output field got populated as blank?
Sujatha K
chitravallivenkat
Participant

Post by chitravallivenkat »

Whenever you concatenate value with NULL, always will be NULL. So do NULL check before concatenating, do as per requirement.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code: Select all

AB_GROUP : NullToEmpty(AB_SUBGROUP)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sujaoschin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sujaoschin »

Thank you. I have used the below expression and the problem is resolved.

if Biseps_Genericcode.BISEPS_GENERICCODE = hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_CODE AND not(isnull(hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_SUBGROUP)) then hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_GROUP:" ": hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_SUBGROUP else if Biseps_Genericcode.BISEPS_GENERICCODE = hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_CODE AND isnull(hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_SUBGROUP) then hash_Biseps_Genericcode.AB_GROUP else @NULL
Sujatha K