Creating an Error table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sujaoschin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Creating an Error table

Post by sujaoschin »

I have 3 different lookups and these 3 lookups have rejections and exceptions. Which is the best method to design the error table? Either to have separate error table for each lookup with the key field, error no,error code, and error description or to have a common error table so that it can be referred ?
Sujatha K
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Whatever is right for your business. Who is going to look at this error table/these error tables? What do THEY need?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tkbharani
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tkbharani »

It depends on the way you are going to use it again. Mostly error tables are checked rarely. You are inserting with error number,error code. So why seperate table, store it in single table.

Bury all errors in single table. :wink:
Thanks, BK
sujaoschin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sujaoschin »

The purpose is for the business wants to see the rejected records and to know the reason why it got rejected and for the reconcilation purpose.
Sujatha K
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

And does "the business" want to look at one table or lots of tables?

My personal preference is for a single table - but my personal preference ought not to influence your business users' requirements.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.