Multiple Instances

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jpr196
Participant

Multiple Instances

Post by jpr196 »

Hey All,

We have multiple sequencers that run a server job and then a reusable job. In other words, each sequencer has a unique server job and then a reusable job.

Now, our customer wants to run streams of these sequencers parallel. Problem, of course, is contention issues have popped up with the reusable job. I understand changing the reusable job to allow multiple instances doesn't solve the problem since it still needs an invocation id. Is it possible to pass a unique invocation id without having to change every sequencer to run a specific invoc id?

Some additional info specific to our case, these sequencers are running from a batch file invoked via a server job.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Multiple Instances

Post by chulett »

jpr196 wrote:I understand changing the reusable job to allow multiple instances doesn't solve the problem
Actually, that sounds like the only solution you have. Both the Sequence job (no 'r' by the way) itself and the Server job inside will need to be multi-instance jobs. And yes, the Sequence's invocation ID can easily be passed to the server job it invokes using the built in macro.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jpr196
Participant

Re: Multiple Instances

Post by jpr196 »

chulett wrote:
jpr196 wrote:I understand changing the reusable job to allow multiple instances doesn't solve the problem
Actually, that sounds like the only solution you have. Both the Sequence job (no 'r' by the way) itself and the Server job inside will need to be multi-instance jobs. And yes, the Sequence's invocation ID can easily be passed to the server job it invokes using the built in macro.
Sorry, I understand I need to make the reusable job multiple instances but why the sequences? Also, where do I use the macro (DSDSInvocationID, correct?)...in the server job or the sequence? I'd like to only change the reusable job but it sounds like I'll need to change each Sequence that uses the server job to pass the invocation ID.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Anything you need to be able to run multiple 'copies' of at the same time needs to be Multi-Instance, Sequence jobs included. You've got the macro right and you would use it in the Job Activity stage of the Sequence job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers