Can we use shared container as lookup in datastage server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sachin1
Participant

Can we use shared container as lookup in datastage server

Post by sachin1 »

hello friends

my question is to confirm what i found, may be i am wrong ............

i think we cannot use shared container as lookup in datastage server jobs, if i am wrong please let me know more info on it.

thanks,
sachin.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You can. What 'more info' do you need?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You definitely can.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sachin1
Participant

Post by sachin1 »

thanks i could use containers for lookup, but now i have one more question, reading through Datastage Designer Guide chpt 5 on local container, an example is shown for local container implementation using ODBC stage.

my question is in first diagram it is shown,

ODBC_0------>Dslink2----->CONTAINER----->Dslink3------>ODBC_1.

in second diagram it is shown.

ContainerInput------>dslink2----->ODBC_0------>Dslink5-----------.

so we have to declare ODBC_0 stage twice once in local container and other in job design, which is redundant.

please explain.

thanks,
sachin.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You would have had to create two ODBC stages even without the local container, because passive stages can not open their outputs until their inputs are closed - with one stage only your design would have a deadly embrace situation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

sachin1 wrote:so we have to declare ODBC_0 stage twice once in local container and other in job design, which is redundant.
No, as noted that is specific to the job design of the example, not the fact that a container is involved. Use or non-use of a container does not change how anything works or the stages involved, it just 'collects' them into a logical unit. Use them (local containers) to 'simplify' a complicated job design by showing a more 'high-level' overview of the job on the canvas. Details can then be had by drilling into the containers if desired.
-craig

sachin1
Participant

Post by sachin1 »

hello chulett, taking an example into consideration shown in PDF of Datastage Designer chpt 5 on local conatiner,.........can you please elaborate
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I did. The documentation does. I'm not really sure what more elaboration you are looking for. :?

Do you have any specific questions?
-craig