Connecting 9i and 10g from different projects same server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rishi
Participant

Connecting 9i and 10g from different projects same server

Post by rishi »

Hi

Is it possible to connect to Orale 9i database from one DataStage project and Oracle 10g database from another DataStage project on the same DataStage server?

As per my understanding dsenv is for the server and not for individual projects. So what will be the ORACLE_HOME value in such case? Can it take multiple values sepatrated by a colon ( : ) like any other PATH variable?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You take a 'least common denominator' approach and specify the 9i client in the dsenv for DataStage. It will work just fine for both 9i and 10g.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rishi
Participant

Post by rishi »

That resolves the issue and so I'll be marking it "Resolved".

But out of curosity, does that mean the ORACLE_HOME variable cannot take more than one value? What if tomorrow another interface, Orcale 8i, is required to be added?
Subscribe to email notifications. Save paper!
rishi
Participant

Post by rishi »

chulett wrote:specify the 9i client in the dsenv for DataStage. It will work just fine for both 9i and 10g. ...
and put 10g database tns enteries in 9i's tnsnames.ora file???
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

DS 8.0.1 doesn't support Oracle 8i.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

rishi wrote:
chulett wrote:specify the 9i client in the dsenv for DataStage. It will work just fine for both 9i and 10g. ...
and put 10g database tns enteries in 9i's tnsnames.ora file???
Sure. A tns entry is a tns entry and it isn't really client specific even though that's where it lives by default.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

lstsaur wrote:DS 8.0.1 doesn't support Oracle 8i.
Not for the repository but I would think you could still connect to one as a data source or target - you'd just need to leverage an 8i client. And you can add Environment Variables to a Project so that you can override the $ORACLE_HOME and $SHLIB_PATH (or equivalent) in an individual job if you really needed to.

Rishi - that should also answer your ORACLE_HOME question. You can have multiple 'homes' but you can only point to one at a time.
-craig

rishi
Participant

Post by rishi »

chulett wrote:Rishi - that should also answer your ORACLE_HOME question. You can have multiple 'homes' but you can only point to one at a time.
Thanks! :D