datastage:How to read .xls file into datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

satyasai999
Participant

datastage:How to read .xls file into datastage

Post by satyasai999 »

Hi..
How to read .xls file into datastage without converting it into .csv?
I have one .xls file.I need to upload it into datastage designer..
can u please help me regarding this.....very urgent......
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The fact that the problem is urgent for you means that you should contact your support provider. DSXchange is a volunteer group and answers when and if the members find the time and energy to do so.

You posted this as a server job on Windows, so you do have the option of declaring your Excel sheet as an ODBC data source and can then use ODBC in DataStage to read from (and write to) Excel.
satyasai999
Participant

Can you please specify the steps to be followed......

Post by satyasai999 »

Hi..
we created that DSN..
but while reading in datastage we are getting the table name as 'R2 FILE$'
If we are getting like this please suggest me how to write query in ODBC stage..
Thanks a lot for reply.........

ArndW wrote:The fact that the problem is urgent for you means that you should contact your support provider. DSXchange is a volunteer group and answers when and if the members find the time and energy to do so.

You posted this as a server job on Windows, so you do have the option of declaring your Excel sheet as an ODBC data source and can then use ODBC in DataStage to read from (and write to) Excel.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

When you import table definitions through the ODBC driver for Excel, check the box captioned "System Tables". For reasons best known unto Microsoft, worksheet names are presented as system tables. There are also rules regarding the layout of the worksheet to enable it to be able to be accessed via ODBC, including columnar layout and column headings - read about the same in Microsoft's documentation of its ODBC driver (if that's the one you're using).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aladap12
Participant

How read .xls file

Post by aladap12 »

ArndW wrote:The fact that the problem is urgent for you means that you should contact your support provider. DSXchange is a volunteer group and answers when and if the members find the time and energy to do so.

Easy way to do this is save you excel file as .csv (coma separated). you can read .csv easily in your job.

Thanks
Kr