data extract and load SAP CRM

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sreddy
Participant

data extract and load SAP CRM

Post by sreddy »

Hi All

One of our CRM systems is replaced with SAP CRM.
My question is how can extract or load data by using Datastage. :?:

Please send your inputs. :idea:

Thanks
SReddy
dwpractices@gmail.com
Analyzing Performance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are extract and load PACKs for SAP, which you need to purchase from the vendor (IBM or a reseller).

These are certified by SAP AG as generating legal ABAP code.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sreddy
Participant

thanks

Post by sreddy »

Ray

Thanks for your inputs. Still i am :?

I heard SAP Extract and Load packs. These are SAP R/3 ( ABAP ) and BW.
Here my question is the same packs are used for SAP CRM or not. :?:

Here SAP XI also come in to picture. I am not go for that area.

When i discuss with SAP consultants. They are also using BAPI concept (instead of IDOC) when they are working with SAP CRM.

Could you please explain elaborate?

Thanks
SReddy
ray.wurlod wrote:There are extract and load PACKs for SAP, which you need to purchase from the vendor (IBM or a reseller).

These are certified by SAP AG as generating legal ABAP code. ...
SReddy
dwpractices@gmail.com
Analyzing Performance
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

the SAP R/3 pack can do the following:

1. Extract/load data from/to SAP R/3 using IDOC's
2. Extract/load data from/to SAP R/3 using BAPI Calls
3. Given a Logical DB SQL Statement (Built via provided GUI in the stage), generates an ABAP program that extracts data from SAP using CPIC or Write to file.

So long as the same methods are supported on SAP CRM, this "should" also work for CRM; though i have never have seen the R/3 pack used on CRM.
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
sreddy
Participant

Thanks

Post by sreddy »

Thanks Vaidya

Your inputs are clearer: D

One more question, when we load data in to SAP environment using IDOC, BAPI from our side job is finished with out warnings. :?:

But SAP people are gave a complaint we are not getting exact data what they are expecting at that time how we can do.

Is there any chances go to SAP environment and check the data clarify them.

Could you please explain, if you have a chance please send the screen shots. 8)

Thanks
SReddy

ameyvaidya wrote:the SAP R/3 pack can do the following:

1. Extract/load data from/to SAP R/3 using IDOC's
2. Extract/load data from/to SAP R/3 using BAPI Calls
3. Given a Logical DB SQL Statement (Built via provided GUI in the stage), generates an ABAP program that extracts data from SAP using CPIC or Write to file.

So long as the same methods are supported on SAP CRM, this "should" also work for CRM; though i have never have seen the R/3 pack used on CRM.
SReddy
dwpractices@gmail.com
Analyzing Performance
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

screenshots would be difficult!!!!

I havent worked with BAPI's a lot though i believe a BAPI returns a status code back to the calling program. This can be written to a file using the BAPI stage. Cant help you much there.

However for IDoc stages,

there are 2 types of issues that may come up :

:arrow: Issues in building the IDOC staging file and/or in sending it to SAP.
:arrow: Data Issues that would cause the iIDoc to fail internal SAP validations.

The first set of issues are the only ones trapped and reported by datastage

The second set is something datastage will not know about as this happens exclusively in SAP. You will need to handle this using job logic.

The following general steps are recommended
Steps:
1. Map source values to corresponding valid SAP values by building lookups. This could be provided by your functional consultant.

2. Perform the same validations that SAP will be doing on your IDocs. The validations will ensure that data you write to SAP will always be accepted.

3. Get the formats right. E.G. SAP expects some dates in DDMMYY format and some numbers with the right right number of decimal points

The way to check if IDocs are successfully posted in SAP is to logon to SAP and use the transaction code WE02 (WEDI for a page that lists all IDOc operations)

Status code 53 is success and 51 is usuallyconsidered error however there are many more status codes with descriptions.
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>