DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: error initializing file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: error initializing file

Post by vsi »

I am getting this error while creating hashed file.

I did make a search in the forum and I do have access to this directory. Any ideas why this error might be coming.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Post the complete error message.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The most usual reason is that the file system is full, a quota on the directory has been exceeded, or that you lack read, write and execute permissions to the directory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

I do have space on the system and as well as rwx permissions. I am able to write other hashed files to the same directory. But just this one fails.

here is the log of the error

Code: Select all

JobName..H_DWH_SURR_KEYS.lKeys: Creating File H_DWH_SURR_KEYS, Executing Command = 
/opt/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/mkdbfile /dswrk/dev/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS 30 1 4 20 50 80 1628 

JobName..H_DWH_SURR_KEYS.lKeys: DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: cannot create file /dswrk/dev/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS

JobName..xThru: |JobName..H_DWH_SURR_KEYS.lKeys: DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: cannot create file /dswrk/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS

Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage JobName..xThru
Last edited by vsi on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Perhaps the disk files are not there, but the VOC descriptor is.
Please post the full message and also what method you are using to create the file.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Here is the log

JobName..H_DWH_SURR_KEYS.lKeys: Creating File H_DWH_SURR_KEYS, Executing Command = 
/opt/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/mkdbfile /dswrk/dev/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS 30 1 4 20 50 80 1628 

JobName..H_DWH_SURR_KEYS.lKeys: DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: cannot create file /dswrk/dev/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS 

JobName..xThru: |JobName..H_DWH_SURR_KEYS.lKeys: DSD.UVOpen mkdbfile: cannot create file /dswrk/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS 

I am writing the hashed file to a directory path /dswrk/dev/data/
Create File and Clear file before writing are checked

and as per the type of hashed file its default dynamic Type 30
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Does a disk object exist at "/dswrk/dev/data/H_DWH_SURR_KEYS"? How many objects are returned if you enter "ls -al /dswrk/dev/data | wc -l"?
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Here is the log

I am writing the hashed file to a directory path /dswrk/dev/data/
Create File and Clear file before writing are checked

and as per the type of hashed file its default dynamic Type 30
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you looked in the directory see see what is (or isn't) there for this particular hashed file? I would guess that parts are there and parts aren't. Try unchecking the 'Clear' option and enabling the 'Delete' option under the 'Create' button.
-craig

aneesh5142
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by aneesh5142 »

Hi,
Can I know what is being suggested in the above premium content.
I have enrolled for the premium membership and made the payment but couldnt access the premium content even after 2 days of enrolement.Please let me know how many days would it take for me to get activated as premium member.As we are also facing the same issue as above saying that Unable to open file.

Thanks In advance!
IBM-DS
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Aneesh5142,

Craig (and the other premium posters) are just volunteers on this site and don't work on the membership side. I see that your premium membership has not been activated yet (there's no "Premium" logo next to your user name) but if it has been 2 days then please send a mail to membership.director@dsxchange.com in order to get that cleared up as quickly as possible.

Since the original thread was last updated in 2008, it is best if you open up a new thread with your exact question and with your exact errors and other supportig information.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

aneesh5142 wrote:Can I know what is being suggested in the above premium content.
I've opened it up as there wasn't much left you couldn't see.

As Arnd noted, it is always best to start your own post when you come here with a problem, no matter how 'same' the issue seems to be to others you find here. If you can't find the answers or clues you need, start a new post and include the gory details of your problem. If there's information in other posts that seems relevant, you can use the [url] tags to include a link to them.

Thanks!
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That mkdbfile reports that it cannot create an object in the file system means that the credentialled user does not have permission to create that object.

You need to determine who the credentialled user is (see Engine Credentials in web console for Information Server) and then verify the permissions of that user in the parent directory (and its parents back to root) where you want to create the hashed file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.