DS Logs path in /dsadm??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

joesat
Participant

DS Logs path in /dsadm??

Post by joesat »

I have used a Peek stage in a job for debugging. It so happened that a large number(60000) of records was displayed in the job logs, and so used up a large area in the log folder.

I would like to know where exactly the logs are being stored in the /dsadm path, so that I can delete them.

I am aware that we can delete the logs from Director itself, but I think this will help me and others in the long run.

Thanks!
Joel Satire
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

All log entries for a particular Job would be stored in DataStage Table RT_LOGnnn ( nnn --> Job Number)[a Type 30 Hashed file] which would be available in the project directory.

But the strongest recommendation is to purge log entries through DataStage Director.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: DS Logs path in /dsadm??

Post by ray.wurlod »

joesat wrote:I have used a Peek stage in a job for debugging. It so happened that a large number(60000) of records was displayed in the job logs, and so used up a large area in the log folder.

I would like to know where exactly the logs are being stored in the /dsadm path, so that I can delete them.

I am aware that we can delete the logs from Director itself, but I think this will help me and others in the long run.

Thanks!
DataStage job logs are stored in the DataStage Repository database, in a separate table for each job, not in any simple location as you seem to believe.

There is no way that you can safely delete selected rows from these tables other than using DataStage's own log purge utilities, which look after the control records in the table as well.

Do not, whatever you do, delete the RT_LOGnnn objects to which ag_ram refers. Your job will immediately become unusable.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

ray.wurlod,

Need a small clarification:
Do not, whatever you do, delete the RT_LOGnnn objects to which ag_ram refers. Your job will immediately become unusable.
The deletion of any Run-time DataStage files will make that particular Job unusable further. However, If the Run time files accidentally deleted by the user, the Create Copy action on that Job can retain the Job Design.

Please confirm this.
DSRajesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSRajesh »

Once the files got deleted you cannot do anything ....i suppose
RD
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ag_ram - just so I understand your post, you can recommend having the poster identify which job number he has, go and delete the appropriate RT_LOGnnn directory from the disk, then edit the original job and do a "save as" in order to get a runnable job - then finally delete the original job (which concidentally deletes the big log file as well) and then perhaps recompile the new copy so you have a clear log. Sounds kind of complicated to me.

I prefer to just set purge settings in the job and let DataStage do the work.
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

DSRajesh,

The deletion of any Run-time DataStage file will not do any harm (but just a warning mesage) on the Job Design or any action(Create Copy, Rename, Delete, Add to Palette) performing on the Job Design but will prevent highly any Run time action(Compile, Execute) performing on the Job.

ArndW,

My scenerio is that if that Runtime DataStage file RT_LOGnnn is accidentally deleted by the user, is there any way to retain the Job Design?

I never recommended the way, you thought about me having told then. I always suggest that the way of clearing the Job log is through 'Clear Log' in the DS Director as you said.
DSRajesh
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by DSRajesh »

Nothing will happen to the job design even you delete the log file?
RD
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Yes.
Nothing will happen to the job design even you delete the log file.
But, the Job has become unusable further because NO Run-time action(Compile, Execute) can be applied to that Job.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: DSRajesh -

Please understand that no-one here is recommending that you ever delete anything under the covers in DataStage. Purge your job logs from the GUI whenever possible. Sometimes extreme corruption can make that... difficult, but those times are very rare.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers