FTP from Unix box to Windows

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deepa_bhagia
Participant

FTP from Unix box to Windows

Post by deepa_bhagia »

I have a requirement to FTP files from UNIX box to Windows using FTP Stage. Can somebody help me with this?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is easy to do with the FTP Stage. What have you tried so far and what hasn't worked?
tsn
Participant

Post by tsn »

you can do it. have you tried it. go to help and search for FTP and try. if you come across error, post it
with regards,
tsn
deepa_bhagia
Participant

Post by deepa_bhagia »

My Job puts the data in a sequential file. I am using the FTP stage after this. Have put the necessary credentials also.

Am getting an error saying "Error while trying to open connection for sending data to the FTP server, FTP command STOR failed"

I have never used this stage before.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The first step is making sure you can issue a FTP from the command line. Once you have that working, you know the necessary values for the FTP stage, namely

remote system name
remote userid
remote password
local directory
remote directory

It sounds like you haven't set the remote directory or your ftp userid doesn't have write access to that location, or the file exists and you don't have permissions to overwrite it.
deepa_bhagia
Participant

Post by deepa_bhagia »

I can FTP from telnet with my userid and password.

In input of the FTP Stage, i have written path of unix where it resides and the filename. What exactly am i supposed to write in the output?

(Have taken one like as input from the sequential file to FTP Stage and output to a dummy sequentail file)

How do i set the remote directory? and what does "the file exists and you don't have permissions to overwrite it." mean?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You need to have a data stream going into the FTP Stage in order to perform a "put" operation. Is that what you have done? It sounds like you are using an FTP Input stage instead.
deepa_bhagia
Participant

Post by deepa_bhagia »

How do i have a data stream going into a FTP Stage?
I am using FTP Plugin stage.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The FTP Stage requires an input link if it is writing data to a remote system, or an output link if it is reading from a remote system. The information you enter in the stage pertains to the file on the remote system.