DataStage Job Sequence LOOP aborts after 256 iterations.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

adesilva
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage Job Sequence LOOP aborts after 256 iterations.

Post by adesilva »

We have a DataStage sequence job that processors a large number (over 1000) of data sets from a UNIX directory. The way the job has been designed it will use an Execute_Command stage to (ls -1 #$DIR_REJECTS#/qa|egrep "^ds_.*_[0-9].*reject.ds$"|sed s/\.ds$//) get the list of files and then process each file at a time using the start loop/end loop activity stages. Within the loop this sequence job will call a DS job to perform some processing on the file and archive it.

The problem is that this sequence job aborts on the 257th iteration and there is no additional information to say why it aborted. Can someone please advise if you have had similar problems and what the potential fix was? It would be greatly appreciated.
:roll:
balajisr
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by balajisr »

Certainly, start loop can iterate beyond 256. Problem lies elsewhere.

Can you do reset and find out if there are any additional information you can gather.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Could it be, perhaps, that the string returned by the ls command is too long?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
adesilva
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by adesilva »

balajisr wrote:Certainly, start loop can iterate beyond 256. Problem lies elsewhere.

Can you do reset and find out if there are any additional information you can gather.
Thanks for the feed back. Sorry I did not get back for a long time. I will add some additional debugging information and let you know. Currently I am on another task but soon as I get a chance to check this out I will let you know.
ukyrvd
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ukyrvd »

could it have something to do with unix exit codes, which are in the range of 0-255?