DataStage Server Job Control Text Font Change?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

DataStage Server Job Control Text Font Change?

Post by gsbrown »

I'm in the "Job Control" tab of a DataStage 8.0.1 Server job and the font and text size is difficult to read. It's not as "clean" to read as it appears in my DataStage 7.5.1a client.

I'm using the DataStage 7.5.1a client on my WindowsXP laptop.
I'm using the DataStage 8.0.1 client on a Windows 2003 server.

First question, does anyone know if the text font/size is set within DataStage Server or Client and is configurable.

Second question, if not configurable in DataStage, then is the job control text font/size taken from a Windows setting? I took advice from IBM support and changed a setting in Windows-->Display Settings changing the text size from "Normal" to "Large". This only changed the font size in the Windows title bar and didn't affect the DataStage Job Control text.

If it's configurable, anyone know of a way to change the job control font in DataStage 8.0.1?

Greg
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

Im not really sure, but you can check if Dialog font settings in Windows registry can be changed, im my opinion it may not work on dialog boxes of datastage.

navigate to

Code: Select all

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWAREMicrosoft\Windows\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes
and try setting MS Shell Dlg or MS Shell DLg2 to someting other than default value.

However the above operation may not help if the dialog fonts are hardcoded in the datastage client program.
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

Bumping this thread, just in case anyone has discovered a fix for this...

We've recently upgraded to version 8.5 and the font in displayed "View Data" and job control is horrible on the eyes to read. Another developer noticed you can hold "Ctrl" and roll the mouse wheel to increase/decrease font size, but it's only temporary. Would like to permanently fix the font displayed in these two sections. It appears fine in other places like the repository and in job properties. I've only noticed so far in job control text editor and when clicking "View Data" the font is bad.

Using 8.5 client on Windows 2008 server. Anyone know how to change the font in DataStage, if possible?
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

@rameshrr3 - I tried changing that registry entry and it changed the font of just about EVERY windows text in DataStage, except in text/coding windows :( ....but I think you're on to something, just need to find the correct registry entry, possibly?

Support also suggested adding these registy keys, but I don't see this "branch" in the 8.5 version. I tried creating it anyway, but don't see any change.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ascential Software\DataStage
Client\Fonts\FixedFontName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ascential Software\DataStage
Client\Fonts\FixedFontSize

I'll continue working with support to see if they can uncover anything.
johm73
Charter Member
Charter Member

what is current version of DataStage client?

Post by johm73 »

I really dislike IBM's website because I can never seem to find a straight-foward answer from it.

Is the current version of DataStage client 8.5? Is that only client or server as well?

We are running Server Edition only and we just applied FP2 which I thought was the latest version. Is 8.5 for server as side as well?

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, 8.5 client and server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gsbrown
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gsbrown »

IBM support saved the day!

We went through a few different registry key entries, and this set worked for Windows 2008. Once these are added, I set FixedFontName=Courier and FixedFontSize=10 and it's easy to read.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\InformationServer\DataStage Client\Client Tag#\Fonts\FixedFontName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\InformationServer\DataStage Client\Client Tag#\Fonts\FixedFontSize
...these two different sets of added keys didn't work for 2008 but may work for other Windows version (ie. WinXP or Win7)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\InformationServer\DataStage Client\#Install Tag#\Fonts\FixedFontName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\InformationServer\DataStage Client\#Install Tag#\Fonts\FixedFontSize
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\InformationServer\DataStage Client\#Install Tag#\Fonts\PropFontName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\InformationServer\DataStage Client\#Install Tag#\Fonts\PropFontSize

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ascential Software\DataStage Client\Fonts\FixedFontName 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ascential Software\DataStage Client\Fonts\FixedFontSize
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

8)
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers