Deleting work (Hashed and Seq files) after job execution

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Deleting work (Hashed and Seq files) after job execution

Post by clarcombe »

We have a sequence calling a number of jobs which create several unique Hashed and text files for each file that is passed to the sequence.

We have been "asked" by production management to follow the McDonalds maxim and "Clean as we go".

From what I have read on this, executing a simple "CLEAR.FILE" at the end of the sequence will not be sufficient as the disk space is retained (even though the DATA.30 and OVER.30 are set to minimal limits).

I have thought about creating a routine at the end of the sequence which executes a series of Universe and Unix commands to delete the hashed files and text files.

Is this the best way to approach this ?
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you do a CLEAR.FILE and then a "RESIZE {fname} * * *" the OVER.30 will also get set back to it's original size. If you have a MINIMUM.MODULO set your files will not shrink to a couple of Kb, either.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

An after-job subroutine, or a routine or command (shell script) invoked from a job sequence, are the obvious choices. In either case you can pass a list of names of things to be deleted. Don't forget, in the case of dynamic hashed files, that you'll need a recursive deletion command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
clarcombe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by clarcombe »

Don't forget, in the case of dynamic hashed files, that you'll need a recursive deletion command.
Do you mean to delete the subdirectory and all its contents ?
Colin Larcombe
-------------------

Certified IBM Infosphere Datastage Developer
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, he does... and that only for 'pathed' hashed files.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ganesh.soundar
Participant

Re: Deleting work (Hashed and Seq files) after job execution

Post by ganesh.soundar »

Hope you are running in UNIX platform. If so use "rm" command with options available and place all the commands in a file. So the file will have the coding to remove all the files that are created. In Sequence you have an activity called Execute Command. Use that activity and make a call the the Shell script that is created.
Regards,
Raja Soundararajan
clarcombe wrote:We have a sequence calling a number of jobs which create several unique Hashed and text files for each file that is passed to the sequence.

We have been "asked" by production management to follow the McDonalds maxim and "Clean as we go".

From what I have read on this, executing a simple "CLEAR.FILE" at the end of the sequence will not be sufficient as the disk space is retained (even though the DATA.30 and OVER.30 are set to minimal limits).

I have thought about creating a routine at the end of the sequence which executes a series of Universe and Unix commands to delete the hashed files and text files.

Is this the best way to approach this ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Deleting Hashed Files

Post by ray.wurlod »

If the hashed file was created in a project (account), use CREATE.FILE from within the DataStage environment.

If the hashed file was created as a dynamic hashed file in a directory, use a recursive delete command (rm -rf in UNIX, DEL /S in Windows). This deletes the three files DATA.30, OVER.30 and .Type30, as well as the directory that "is" the hashed file.

If the hashed file was created as a static hashed file in a directory you can use a non-recursive delete command, but the recursive one will work just as well.

If you have used SETFILE or any other means to create a VOC pointer to the deleted hashed file you need to delete that pointer. This is a regular query of the form

Code: Select all

DELETE FROM VOC WHERE "TYPE" in ('F','Q') AND "@ID" = 'hashedfilename';
Caution: Never used DELETE on VOC without a WHERE clause! Your project will immedately become unusable. The constraint on "TYPE" above is not strictly necessary - I include it as a safety measure.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.