How to find the path of the job?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sureshchandra
Participant

How to find the path of the job?

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi,
Can any one help me in finding a path of the server job.My job is stored in a FTP server say X.How to find the path of that particular job stored in FTP server?
tombastian
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tombastian »

In the Administrator -> Command prompt execute the following: SELECT * FROM DS_JOBS WHERE NAME='<Job Name>'

This will list the category where the job is available.

Post by ray.wurlod »

A job does not have a path. It is a set of objects stored in a database called the Repository - there is a separate Repository for each project in versions earlier than 8.0. DataStage server jobs are executed in a "virtual machine" called the DataStage Engine by a DataStage program called DSD.RUN, which reads appropriate entries from that database to execute what was designed. It usually starts child processes, especially for jobs that contain Transformer stages.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi,
Thanks for your response.I'm working on deployment.I test the jobs in QA server(Testing server).Jobs are successful.
I want to login to the ftp sever and check if the data files successfully loaded are not.
For that i have to know the name of the output files being FTPed.
Where and how can I find this parameter values?

Thanks in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The only way to transfer jobs between projects (regardless of what server they are on) is via the DataStage export/import methods. This export file, either in .dsx native format or as .xml, can then be ftp'd.

Or are you looking at the data files used in DataStage?
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi Arndw,
I'm checking datafiles in FTP server. I need to search the output file name from the job.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Normally the paths used for files are runtime parameters so you can look it up in the log files, or use the dsjob command and a shell script to parse the path out.
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi Arndw,
I'm checking datafiles in FTP server. I need to search the output file name from the job.
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi AndreW'
Thanks for ur reply
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You need to know the output file name. Then you can search for it. Typically at least the file's directory will be a job parameter, so its location is indeterminate by inspecting the DataStage design. You need to consult the Director client (or job log via dsjob command) to determine with what parameter values the job was run.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi Ray,
Where to search for that output file name?
In Log folder available in the testing server.
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi Ray,
Where to search for that output file name?
In Log folder available in the testing server.Can u be clear

thanks in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It is very hard to understand your requirements. The output file(s) are defined in the jobs and only you have access to those.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no log folder. Each job log is a table in the Repository database. It can be accessed via the Director client or via the dsjob command.

I think you would be wise to consider enrolling in a DataStage Essentials class.
sureshchandra
Participant

Post by sureshchandra »

Hi ray,
I'm discussing about the adminstration work not devlopers.
In testing server under the batch job there will be some sub folders.
like hash,ftp,log etc....