Quotes added in writing to a sequential file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Quotes added in writing to a sequential file

Post by Ragunathan Gunasekaran »

Hi ,
I am selecting a column that is varchar(255) in an oracle table and writing that to a sequential file. I have left the default setting as it is in the sequential page of the stage.
I am using unix like records and hence selected unix in the option buttons given
I am finding a Quote added to the column value in the sequential file ie "xxxxx" instead of xxxxx. Since i am using this value in the down stream processing i am facing a lot of string mismatch issues while i try to compare this with some literals.
But when i view through the datastage data viewer in the sequential file stage ,there seems to be no quotes :roll: Any suggestions on what shall be done :idea:
Regards
Ragu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nothing is wrong. Quotes are normal for string data in sequential file data and should not be causing problems in your 'downstream' processing. The data viewer doesn't show them to you because they are delimiters, not part of the data.

If for some reason you really don't want them in the file, change the Quote Character in the Sequential File stage from " to 000.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
MOHAMMAD.ISSAQ
Participant

Post by MOHAMMAD.ISSAQ »

It's coming because of the default Quote ' " ' character present in the output file.
In format tab give quote character as '000'.

I think this will definitely resolve ur problem.
Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Yes that works a lot but what is the character 000 means ? :roll: Is that means space?
Regards
Ragu
Ragunathan Gunasekaran
Participant

Yes that works a lot but what is the character 000 means ? :roll: Is that means space?
Regards
Ragu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, it means you don't want any quote character used. Check the help or try to leave the field empty.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Technically it means to use the ASCII NUL character (0x00) as the quote character. This is effectively using a zero-length string ("") as the quote character.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.