Can I have a job that checks to see if a job is running?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jlock23
Participant

Can I have a job that checks to see if a job is running?

Post by jlock23 »

I have a couple of jobs that keep hanging suddenly. They are very simple jobs, but they are processing a lot of data. This is what the jobs look like:

ODBC select data -> Transformer -> File -> ODBC Insert Data

The ODBC Insert Data step, does a "clear the table, insert the rows". The job hangs after writing to the file and before starting the ODBC insert. It just sits there, doing nothing.

In an effort to prevent this from happening in the future, I plan to break this into 2 jobs - One to write the file and one to do the insert. I'm going to investigate the bulk insert again (I have never had it work successfully).

I'd also like to find a way to check to see if the job was hung, and if so, send out an email. So I need to create a job that runs at a certain time and checks to see if job XXX is running and if it is running....do stuff. Does anyone know how I might accomplish this?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The Clear is a "delete from table" statement, maybe that's running and taking a long time?
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

To answer the last question, script a call to dsjob with the -jobinfo option then grep out the Job Status and check for RUNNING.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jlock23
Participant

Post by jlock23 »

The job normally runs in about 2 hours total. When it gets stuck, it just sits there like it's about to begin the clear then insert. The table is actually already empty when it gets to that step (it's emptied in another job earlier in the sequence).

It just sits there until I kill it. When I got in this morning, it had been sitting at that step for 13 hours. I killed it and started it again. Ran fine and finished in 2 hours as expected.

Since this has happened twice, I wanted to create another job to check on that job and if it was still running, to send out an email notifying the team that it was stuck, so that we could respond sooner than we are currently responding (when a user calls to complain!).

Per the last response, When I script out the call to the job...that will actually launch the job...won't it? Currently we use the sequence jobs to run all of our server jobs.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, it won't actually launch the job - would I lead you astray? It will just query the job and dump all relevant 'info' about it to standard out.
-craig

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As to the 'gets stuck' part, have you had your DBA check to see what was going on when that happens? Some other process locking this one out, perhaps?
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

For example, DELETE FOM table will always wait for any update lock on any row in the table to be released, if no "escape clause" (syntax varies with database, but is not provided from the "Clear table" method) is issued.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

The DELETE FROM TABLE will be efficient, if the table is EXCLUSIVELY accessible for the job that issues the DELETE FROM ... SQL.

You may issue a LOCK TABLE < table name > IN EXCLUSIVE MODE (DB native formats may differ) as a Before SQL.

Also, COMMIT must be issued after the DELETE is successful.

To be notified upon completion of the job, use DSSendMail (after stage routine).

HTH :)
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
sachin1
Participant

Post by sachin1 »

hope locking and deleting of table as mentioned by replies helps you, as you want to create a job which will track your job sequence, you can code in job control following to track job sequencer.

Status = DSGetJobInfo( RunJobName, DSJ.JOBINTERIMSTATUS)

*Call DSLogFatal("JobControl")
Status_value = DSGetJobInfo (DSJ.ME, DSJ.JOBINTERIMSTATUS)
baglasumit21
Participant

Re: Can I have a job that checks to see if a job is running?

Post by baglasumit21 »

jlock23 wrote:I have a couple of jobs that keep hanging suddenly. They are very simple jobs, but they are processing a lot of data. This is what the jobs look like:

ODBC select data -> Transformer -> File -> ODBC Insert Data

The ODBC Insert Data step, does a "clear the table, insert the rows". The job hangs after writing to the file and before starting the ODBC insert. It just sits there, doing nothing.

In an effort to prevent this from happening in the future, I plan to break this into 2 jobs - One to write the file and one to do the insert. I'm going to investigate the bulk insert again (I have never had it work successfully).

I'd also like to find a way to check to see if the job was hung, and if so, send out an email. So I need to create a job that runs at a certain time and checks to see if job XXX is running and if it is running....do stuff. Does anyone know how I might accomplish this?
I dont know it is possible in your case or not, but if your database is a oracle database then you can use the update action as ''Truncate table and then Insert' instead of 'Clear and Insert. This will be faster and it helps a lot as in the truncate statement it doesnot have to write a transaction log. Hence truncate is always faster than Delete. Hope it helps you if u can replace the ODBC stage with Oracle stage and then you wont require a seperate job to check whether the job is running or stucked
SMB