DB2 Connectivity to Datastage (Windows server)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

DB2 Connectivity to Datastage (Windows server)

Post by dwblore »

I am working on datastage server edition on windows platform , need to connect to DB2 in mainframe so i am using DB2 API stage. How can i do the connectivity , As we have dsenv file in unix server to write the DB2 parameters like PATH, INSTANCE do we have some file in windows where this type of declaration can be done.
Please reply soon as this has halted our project :?

Thanks a lot in advance
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a manual (white paper?) on DB2 connectivity from DataStage, and setting it up. This should be available through your support provider, as it was created by IBM's support group originally.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Please share the exact problem you are facing while conencting to DB2 on mainframes, using the DB2 API ?

I am also working on server edition and using DB2 API stage for connecting to DB2 on mainframes... Initiallly I did faced some issues...like unable to acces the table definitions and catalogs... but curently I am not facing any issues...
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
dwblore
Charter Member
Charter Member

Datastage Connectivity to DB2 API

Post by dwblore »

asitagrawal wrote:Please share the exact problem you are facing while conencting to DB2 on mainframes, using the DB2 API ?

I am also working on server edition and using DB2 API stage for connecting to DB2 on mainframes... Initiallly I did faced some issues...like unable to acces the table definitions and catalogs... but curently I am not facing any issues...
Hi,

Thanks...... As all the platforms and ur requirements r matching with ours, pls explain how to start the connectivity of DB2 API stage to Data Stage. For Example we have created one DSN connection for ODBC stage using UVCONFIG file in DSENGINE and we are able to view DB2 mainframes tables. So, is there any file for DB2 API like UVCONFIG file where we can put entries and connect to retrieve data.?????????????

Thankyou......
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Well..I did not use UVCONFIG file in DSENGINE to create the DSN...

The steps, I vaguely remember, were as follows:
1. Install a DB2 client on the server
2. Configure the DB2 client to access the desired database and verify the conenctions with some SQLs.
3. Using DS Manager, Import the table definition into the DS.. This, am asking you to do because, this is the place where I figured out that from DS I was unable to access the DB2 catalog and hence the tables..

The problem was resolved with the support from our DBA. There were some traces set, to capture what "behind the scene" stuff when I tried to import the table definitions.. finally the issue was resovled by granting necessary priviliges to some DB2 packages, I think something like TSNUTILS..I cannot recall the exact name..

Actually, DB2 tries to execute some package inorder to read the DB2 catalog, in order to access the DB2 tables...

Let me know if it helps :)
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

I don't know if this is resolved
but in Windows you have to make an entry in your services file
DB2_FSACWD1 446/tcp
DB2_LOCAL 50000/tcp
DB2_TIPSY 446/tcp
to tell which port db2 on your target server is listneing on.
In my case it is iSeries and the port is 446

You also need to bind that server in the DB2 local DB where that server is also defined.
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill