Error with SETFILE command in a before-stage subroutine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Alethesnake
Participant

Error with SETFILE command in a before-stage subroutine

Post by Alethesnake »

Hi All,
I've a strange error with a simple job.
In a before stage subroutine of a transformer I define a VOC pointer in this way:

SETFILE #$aDirHashedFiles#\HF_CIM_CD HF_CIM_CD_REF OVERWRITING

The pointer is used in an universe stage linked to that transformer.

If I run the job stand alone, it runs well: the pointer is correctly created and the job produces the results I'm looking for.

The problem is when I run the job via a sequencer that contains it. When this job is executed I get an abort with the following error (from the director):

PZMAS020IRR..Transformer_0 (ExecTCL): Error when executing command: SETFILE E:DATI\ETL\HASHFILE\TIMONE\HF_FILIALE_CD HF_FILIALE_CD_REF OVERWRITING
*** No output from UniVerse command ***

:?:

Have you got any suggestion about this?
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Error with SETFILE command in a before-stage subroutine

Post by gateleys »

Change your command to -

SETFILE #$aDirHashedFiles#\HF_CIM_CD HF_CIM_CD OVERWRITING

I tried it and it seems to run fine in both stand-alone job and when embedded in a sequence job.
gateleys
Alethesnake
Participant

Post by Alethesnake »

The problem is not on the name of the pointer, sometimes it runs and sometimes no (both mine and your version)..
I've asked for a restart of the datastage server, let's see if it solves the problem :|
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It won't.

Try removing the VOC pointer in an after-stage subroutine so that SETFILE is guaranteed to be clean on the next run.
DELETE VOC 'HF_CIM_CD_REF'

Delete both pointers from VOC in the Administrator client Command window.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Alethesnake
Participant

Post by Alethesnake »

Hi Ray,
it seems that the restart solves the problem (sometime our test server degrade in performaces..).

Is it a good practice to delete pointers after their use?

(The pointers created will be useful only to this job and this process will run monthly.)

My doubt is that a continuous deletion/insertion of pointers will generate a sort of fragmentation of the "file" (an hashed file?) where they are saved. Is it possible?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Fragmentation will not be an issue. The hashing algorithm pretty much always guarantees the same location in the VOC file, because it is a static hashed file (one in which the number of groups does not change over time without manual intervention).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.