Two Different Server Installations on Same Unix Box

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kinu008
Premium Member
Premium Member

Two Different Server Installations on Same Unix Box

Post by kinu008 »

Hello All,

We are already using a Server edition for one of our modules. We are planning to start a different module and we want it to be completely different from our current module.

In Short,

Can we have two installations of DataStage Server on same Unix Box?

Appreciate your response.
Thank you
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yes, you can - but are you sure you need to? What does 'module' mean in your world? Can you not just create a new Project (or Projects) for this?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Two Different Server Installations on Same Unix Box

Post by gateleys »

kinu008 wrote: Can we have two installations of DataStage Server on same Unix Box?
Yes you can. Make sure the paths are different. But one question, why do you want to do that? Do they differ in versions?

You can also have 2 different versions of DataStage clients, and switch between them using the Multiple Client Switch client.
gateleys
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you really think you need to take this approach, read the multiserv.pdf document in your Docs directory. It explains all that is involved.
-craig

kinu008
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kinu008 »

Two Different Modules mean.. currently we are implementing HCM Module.. and the other team wants to start Campus Solution Module..

The reason for doing is.. HCM folks should not see CS Projects and vice versa.., but the management wants to use the same Unix box to install Server Versions.

is that clear?
chulett wrote:Yes, you can - but are you sure you need to? What does 'module' mean in your world? Can you not just create a new Project (or Projects) for this? ...
kinu008
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kinu008 »

Thanks a lot.. Document is very clear.. Hope you understood the reason why we are doing this..

Thanks again :)

chulett wrote:If you really think you need to take this approach, read the multiserv.pdf document in your Docs directory. It explains all that is involved. ...
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

While it can be done, it's completely not worth the effort. Yes I could build a spaceship out of a Toyota Prius, but would I really want to? :lol:

To keep teams separated along project lines simply use the security features in the tool to restrict user access via groups. Assign groups to different projects and your users will be unable to get into others projects.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

kinu008 wrote: The reason for doing is.. HCM folks should not see CS Projects and vice versa..
is that clear?
Oh yes, very clear.

But what is not clear is why would you not opt, like Craig suggested, to have HCM and CS as 2 different projects within the same box? You can create 2 different group, say grpHCM and grpCS, and set group permissions via the Administrator client so that each has privileges only to its own specific project. As simple as that.
gateleys
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In summary:
1. Projects are completely independent of each other.
2. Operating system permissions (in combination with DataStage roles) can specify who can do what in projects.

That's all you need. You do not need the hassle of -itag installations, which is how multiple versions of the server are run on the same machine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
abdulgani
Participant

Post by abdulgani »

Hi All,

I am also in the same boat. My concern is, if the server prormance will descrese if i install the new ds version on the same AIX box. Please advise
me.

Thanks & Regards
Gani
kinu008 wrote:Hello All,

We are already using a Server edition for one of our modules. We are planning to start a different module and we want it to be completely different from our current module.

In Short,

Can we have two installations of DataStage Server on same Unix Box?

Appreciate your response.
Thank you
Syed Ibrahim Abdul Gani,
Senior DW Consultant,
Singapore
+65 97457387
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's obvious from a number of posts in the past that a DataStage server machine can deliver an infinite supply of CPU, memory and other resources, so go ahead and throw more and more demands for resources at it. It'll cope!
Not.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

abdulgani wrote:I am also in the same boat. My concern is, if the server prormance will descrese if i install the new ds version on the same AIX box. Please advise me.
Of course. Install more anything that consumes resources and there will be less for everything else. You could always, to slightly misquote Roy Scheider, "get a bigger boat".
-craig

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

If you're running 100 jobs in 1 project, 100 jobs in 4 projects, or 100 jobs in two projects in two different instances, you're still running 100 jobs. The only difference is going to be the overhead of the two dsrpcd daemons instead of the one, which is negligible.

So, two installations doesn't add much as far as overhead. What it does add is a LOT of maintenance. You're going to have to differentiate instances, lock maintenance adds another layer of complexity.

If you're only needing separate instances for access reasons, then use the product the way it was designed.
Kenneth Bland

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

While I would think there would be more to it than just 'the overhead of the two dsrpcd daemons instead of the one' your point is well taken. And the point re: maintenance is a big one.

However, maybe you can think of it as a kind of RAID setup. Doubled your chances for a problem but when it does happen it will only affect half your processing? :wink:
-craig

kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

If you install Server 7.5 on a Unix box (say Sun) and connect 0 clients and have no one else on the machine doing stuff, run prstat -a and watch the cpu utilization. It will be near zero. Without clients connected, there's really nothing going on. You could install another instance and see that there's nothing going on times two.

Now connect a client, don't forget you've got to deal with different ports and choose the right instance. Get a job running and watch prstat. There's really no way to tell if that job is running in one project or another, much less which instance.

Sure you have shared memory dedicated to one instance that's absolutely separate from the shared memory dedicated to the other, but from a cpu standpoint that doesn't matter. Memory not being actively used gets paged and swapped, so that's just disk space.

I don't think two instances of the DS Engine is a big deal of overhead. What is overhead is thinking that you can magically run more stuff on the same hardware, but hopefully we're not going to continue down that road.

The granddaddies of the DS Engine (Universe, Prime, etc) were such low overhead you could run 100 users on a 486 PC back in the day doing order entry, sales reporting, etc. DS Engine is a skinnied version of that.
Kenneth Bland