Reset / restart of multiple layers of sequences

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

deswhk
Participant

Reset / restart of multiple layers of sequences

Post by deswhk »

Hi all,

I have a master sequence (MS) calling multiple sequences (S1,S2,S3).

============================
MS:
S1 --Execute OK--> S2 --Execute OK--> S3
============================

Configuration for S1, S2 and S3:
1) Reset if required, then run
2) Sequence is restartable

Scenario:
S1 finished successfully but one of the jobs in S2 failed. When I restart MS, S1 is executed again and for S2, it continued from the point of failure.

Question:
Is there a way to NOT execute S1 again upon restart of MS? I notice in the S1 log, the checkpoint is removed upon successful completion of the sequence S1.

Thanks.

Desmond
deswhk
Participant

Post by deswhk »

One more question:
Under what circumstances will a job or sequence do a reset then run or run with the configuration 'reset if required, then run'?

With reference to the first post, if I reset MS and then run, S1 will run. S2 will run from the point of failure and does not reset. Isn't it strange for S2 not to reset although I specify 'reset if required, then run'. S2 was in Aborted/Restartable state.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Last question first - it doesn't reset because it wasn't "required", the job was in a Restartable state. If it was just Aborted then it would have reset it.

When the job in S2 fails, you need to ensure that S2 itself aborts which it sounds like you are doing. Then, you need to ensure that MS notices the S2 abort and Aborts as well. In other words, both S2 and MS need to end up in an 'Aborted/Restartable' status for the behaviour you want.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
deswhk
Participant

Post by deswhk »

Does it mean if I want a fresh new start for all the sequences in MS when say S1 finished successfully and S2 finished with aborted/restartable state, I have to do a reset for ALL sequences (MS, S1 and S2)?, instead of just reset the master sequence, MS?
Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

All Aborted/Restartable ones, yes.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
deswhk
Participant

Post by deswhk »

chulett wrote:All Aborted/Restartable ones, yes. ...
ok, thanks :)
seems like I have to do it in a wrapper to do the reset of all the sequences for a fresh start of the job.
deswhk
Participant

Post by deswhk »

chulett wrote:All Aborted/Restartable ones, yes. ...
ok, thanks :)
seems like I have to do it in a wrapper to do the reset of all the sequences for a fresh start of the job.