Multiple Procedure Execution Order

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit_111
Participant

Multiple Procedure Execution Order

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi All,

I have a job which executes around 15 Oracle procedures using 15 seperate ODBC stages. But they are interdependent and must be executed in a specific order. I have used a transformer before calling all these Procedures and set the Output Link Execution order as per the requirements.

But does this link Execution order setting mean that unless my first Procedure is not executed completely it will not go to the second one? Or it will just pass the parameters to procedures in that order and all the procedures will start execution at the same time.

I am asking this because after executing this job I found out that around 8-9 sessions opened in oracle when the job was executing which made me think that the procedures might be executing simultaneously, also my job never finished and was in a running state for long time which doubled my doubt.

Is my thinking correct or am i wrong somewhere?. Also any suggestions on ways/alternative ways to handle this situation?

Thanks in Advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Use one stage with 15 links, not 15 stages. Yes, all sessions will 'open' when the job starts but they will execute in order, one after the other.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Oyyy, this is why you have command line sqlplus and pl/sql scripting ability.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Oyyy indeed. :wink:

However, just trying to answer the asked question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Thanks craig ....