Trigger options in Job Activity in a Sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Rea_Antony
Participant

Trigger options in Job Activity in a Sequence

Post by Rea_Antony »

Hi,
I have placed a job in a sequence. Under the 'Job Activity' options there is a Trigger tab.
Under 'Expression', I have 4 options:
Unconditional
Otherwise
OK (Conditional)
Failed (Conditional)
Warning (Conditional)
UserStatus (Conditional)
Custom (Conditional)

My query is as follows:
I have two jobs in a sequence. If the first job aborts it has to write the same to log. Hence, if it aborts, 'Execution Failed' will be written in log.
But I need to run the second job regardless of whether the first job is successful or not. Hence, under the 'properties' for the first job activity, shouldn't I put the expression as 'Unconditional' and not Otherwise?

Can someone please confirm the same for me? Thanks in advance.
baigdw
Participant

Re: Trigger options in Job Activity in a Sequence

Post by baigdw »

Rea_Antony wrote:Hi,
I have placed a job in a sequence. Under the 'Job Activity' options there is a Trigger tab.
Unconditional
Otherwise
OK (Conditional)
Failed (Conditional)
Warning (Conditional)
UserStatus (Conditional)
Custom (Conditional)

My query is as follows:
I have two jobs in a sequence. If the first job aborts it has to write the same to log. Hence, if it aborts, 'Execution Failed' will be written in log.
But I need to run the second job regardless of whether the first job is successful or not. Hence, under the 'properties' for the first job activity, shouldn't I put the expression as 'Unconditional' and not Otherwise?

UNCONDITIONAL should be the trigger the next job irrespective of the status of the first job completion as per your requirement.
:P
Baig
Nothing is Impossible in this world. TRY ..try till you Succeed.
baigdw
Participant

Post by baigdw »

Unconditional
Otherwise
OK (Conditional)
Failed (Conditional)
Warning (Conditional)
UserStatus (Conditional)
Custom (Conditional)

My query is as follows:

UNCONDITIONAL should be the trigger the next job irrespective of the status of the first job completion as per your requirement.
Baig
baigdw
Participant

Post by baigdw »

Unconditional
Otherwise
OK (Conditional)
Failed (Conditional)
Warning (Conditional)
UserStatus (Conditional)
Custom (Conditional)

My query is as follows:

Baig
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Yes.
gateleys
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree about Unconditional trigger.

You might create a second link with a Failure trigger, if you want to handle the Abort result specifically, for example by sending email.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Rea_Antony
Participant

Post by Rea_Antony »

Thank you very much :D