Job aborts after warning with no reason

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kayhanyuksel
Participant

Job aborts after warning with no reason

Post by kayhanyuksel »

We are using Ascential to pump bidirectional data between SAP ERP and warehouse. While a job that inserts replies to Oracle 9i DBMS, it gives warning message first then gets aborted, and I get the message :

Job XXXXXXXX must be reset before it can run.

and after that :

Attempting to Cleanup after ABORT raised in stage XXXXXXXX..AfterJob

where XXXXXXXX stands for the job name and that's all the info I can get.

Thank you for your concern,

Yours sincerely,
Kayhan YUKSEL
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: ASCENTIAL DATASTAGE- JOB ABORTS AFTER WARNING WITH NO RE

Post by gateleys »

kayhanyuksel wrote: Job XXXXXXXX must be reset before it can run.
That's because your job failed in the previous run. In order to run a again, the job must be in a runnable state. So, either you re-compile the job, or reset the job before you run it again.

And BTW, welcome to the forum.
gateleys
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

In the log there will be a short message after you reset saying from previous run ... doubleclick on it and paste the response here. It may contain the reason for failure. Maybe you are using some pre-job routine or custom made code in jobcontrol....
-------------------------------------
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bi-aj
my blog on delivering business intelligence using agile principles
kayhanyuksel
Participant

Post by kayhanyuksel »

gateleys wrote:
kayhanyuksel wrote: Job XXXXXXXX must be reset before it can run.
That's because your job failed in the previous run. In order to run a again, the job must be in a runnable state. So, either you re-compile the job, or reset the job before you run it again.

And BTW, welcome to the forum.
First of all thank you, it is nice to be heard. I do reset & run but I am looking forward to find out a pattern , a reason for this problem and I want to fix it once forever, because of this problem I always have to keep an eye on Ascential, pushing my development jobs away.. IMHO, a successful system wouldn't need that.It should work like a charm.

Again thanks a lot for the quick response and warm welcome,

Yours sincerely,
Kayhan YUKSEL
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

kayhanyuksel wrote: but I am looking forward to find out a pattern , a reason for this problem and I want to fix it once forever
We could attempt to help you if you would provide the actual log for the job's failure. What you have posted is the log of an attempted run for a job that is in an aborted state. Now, just as stefanfrost1 suggested, can you first reset your job and provide us with the log from previous run?
gateleys
kayhanyuksel
Participant

Post by kayhanyuksel »

stefanfrost1 wrote:In the log there will be a short message after you reset saying from previous run ... doubleclick on it and paste the response here. It may contain the reason for failure. Maybe you are using some pre-job routine or custom made code in jobcontrol....
Here is the line before the warning at the log : XXXXXXXX.YYYYYYY.DOCNUM_TO_HASHED: Write caching disabled

and here is the line before the second warning :

XXXXXXXX.IDoc_XYVZ: Total rows read: 30 Total rows processed: 24

(there were massages regarding to SMTP etc. for mailing errors to people related to Ascential, I just skipped that)

pre-job routine is EXEC_DOS which is a built-in routine. It deletes a an empty file which works as a manually implamented lock mechanism. Other controls check if that file exists to proceed or not.

Jobcontrol tab was empty,

Yours sincerely,
Kayhan YUKSEL
kayhanyuksel
Participant

Post by kayhanyuksel »

gateleys wrote:Now, just as stefanfrost1 suggested, can you first reset your job and provide us with the log from previous run?
The job that I am providing info is running now, I am just copy-pasting the log-info regarding to aborted run. Any other log info needed? I would like to provide any information you needed to resolve this.

Thanks a lot,
Kayhan YUKSEL
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

I think you've misunderstood what we meant by log From Previous Run. Let's try it this way - Can you look into the log for the job, and browse prior runs and then check when the job failed with an error that is different from the current error?
gateleys