filetransfer using server job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srinivenigalla
Participant

filetransfer using server job

Post by srinivenigalla »

A File of txt or xls has to be transfered from one server to another using server job. I want to know wht are all the aspects which I need to consiider for designing the job?
Are therre any FTP STAGES in server if not which stage we use in server edition to performthe fiel transfer job.
Please sugggest.
kris
Participant

Re: filetransfer using server job

Post by kris »

FTP Plug-in Stage does the job.
I would use DS Job to do this kind of task only if other DS functionality(Transformations) is needed as part of file transfer.

But if you are looking for only file transfer on UNIX, secure copy (remote file copy program) SCP is more reliable and faster as well.
~Kris
srinivenigalla
Participant

Post by srinivenigalla »

I want to use Datastage server job in which I dont have FTP plugin. the file is in Unix server and it must have to be transfered to other server. I am not gettting which Stage to use. Please suggest.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I'm confused by your answer - do you not wish to use the FTP stage in your job or can you not find it in your palette?

The common methods of NFS Mount, SCP, RCP and FTP are all available to you from DataStage using shells. You need to decide which method you should use and then implement that in DataStage.

The only reason to use an FTP stage (in my opinion) is because you want to process each data row in the file within DataStage. If you don't actually manipulate or use the file data then it is much better to use the external FTP command.
kris
Participant

Post by kris »

srinivenigalla wrote:I want to use Datastage server job in which I dont have FTP plugin.
Doesn't matter if it is server or parallel, FTP Plug-in is available in both.

May be you don't have the stage in palette or it could be that it is not selected when the software is installed ?
~Kris