Lookup inter dependency

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Lookup inter dependency

Post by vinaymanchinila »

Hi,

Can we have multiple reference look ups where lookup1 result can be used in look up2 in the same transformer?

i.e result of look up1 is the key for lookup2

Thanks,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

No, you will need to use 2 transformers to do this.
vinaymanchinila
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vinaymanchinila »

If I design the job that way and manually type in the column name in Lookup2, job compiles and even runs fine without aborting, was just curious if this was a bug in DS.

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, not a 'bug' per se, more of a limitation of the GUI. This has been debated here in the past, some people will happily do what you did and others won't. In any case, it does work - at least up through through the 7.5.x version, but can't say if it will keep on working in future versions.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ameyvaidya
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ameyvaidya »

I have noticed the same thing. Designer does not seem to like this( I always get an angry red font) but the code does work.

Must be something to do with the fact that the Transformer already has evaluated the all columns for Lookup1 and has the corresponding data from the reference data source before it starts evaluating Lookup2.
Amey Vaidya<i>
I am rarely happier than when spending an entire day programming my computer to perform automatically a task that it would otherwise take me a good ten seconds to do by hand.</i>
<i>- Douglas Adams</i>
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Its better to stick with stuff that does not show up in red. As Craig notes, it might not work in future versions.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.