Validate option in job activity stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Validate option in job activity stage

Post by ag_ram »

Hi all,

Can anybody tell what does the validate option under execution action in the job activity stage of the sequencer validates. How is this option useful?

Thanks in advance,
Ram.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It is the same 'Validate' that is available in your normal Run dialogue box. In much earlier versions, it was a required step as it was the only way to create your hashed files. I can't remember the last time I validated a job now that that is no longer an issue. :?

Never really found where the docs actually describe what it does other than the rather generic 'validates the job' statement. Seems to me it is much like running the job but processing zero records through it - stages are opened, database connectivity is verified, sequential files are verified, etc etc.

The only time I've used it in a Sequence job was for a series of jobs that needed to source from a problematic instance, one that was notorious for going down at inopportune times. A simple 'no op' style job with only a database stage and sequential file was Validated at the head of the sequence and all of the subsequent jobs run only if 'connectivity was validated' by the initial job. Other than that... [shrug]

Be curious what, if anything, others have done with it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ag_ram
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ag_ram »

Thanks cullet. If any one knows more about this option, do share it with me, even if it is very small point.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Validate is a run mode that does everything except process rows. It opens files, establishes connections to data, gets SQL prepared and so on.

I find it a useful thing to do to test that job parameters work properly after deploying to new environments (such as test or production).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.