Upgrade to EE

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dspxguy
Participant

Upgrade to EE

Post by dspxguy »

We are upgrading to EE. What are the basic steps need to be taken before the upgrade?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Unless you intend on using the new EE functionality there is not much that needs to be done, the existing server jobs will run as they did before.
EE might look similar to server, but it is a different product altogether and the first thing you should think of doing is enrolling in training. Many of the EE/PX issues I've seen would have been avoided by having the relevant personell trained prior to both the planning and implementation phases.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The most basic step of all is to double the amount you pay for the software.

Other than that, I fully support what Arnd had to say. Those who run this site do offer a "Server to Parallel Transition Lab", or you can learn parallel jobs from the ground up by enrolling in standard vendor classes, etc.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

I would like to 2nd what Ray and Aarndt said about learning EE. I have learned 100's of pieces of IT software in my life. I mostly recommend to people that they just learn tools on the job. I have taken almost no classes. But one class I was glad I took was the EE class. Some very different non-intuitive things are going on with EE in processing sequential files, how sorting takes place, how DB updates are done that if you don't understand, terrible/incorrect things are going to happen. Make sure you spend some time understanding how EE is different than SE.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Oh, and the hardware requirements are greater. Particularly memory and disk space.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.