Space problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

raji
Participant

Space problem

Post by raji »

Hi,

We are running the DS server jobs on the AIX box.

Its oftenly running out of space.

Its creating some files like RT_LOG***** and DS_TEMP****.

Is it adviceable to remove those files to get space or is any other way to get space?

Will you please any one help me out?

Regards,
Raji
Raji

Nothing is impossible because impossible itself
says I'm Possible
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why not get more space by physically adding more? Filling that space is a Bad Thing and will wreak all kinds of havoc on your projects when it happens. Get more disk.

No, it is not advisable you remove any files of that nature. For the LOG files, however, it is highly advisable that you manage their contents by leveraging the Auto-Purge capability. Also note that there's no reason for Server jobs to log any warnings or errors or to do anything silly like allow 'unlimited' warning messages be logged. If you have overly large logs, consider manual purging to resize them.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
raji
Participant

Post by raji »

Hi Chulett,

Thanks a lot for ur reply.

We are having 800+ jobs and at present we are having 20GB.

So will you please suggest me how max would be the memory space.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Raji
Raji

Nothing is impossible because impossible itself
says I'm Possible
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's disk space that's at issue here, not memory space.
Each job creates a number of hashed files and directories, as you observed. These should only be deleted by deleting the job. They are the places where run-time metadata are stored.
Create a new project on a different file system, and move some of the jobs to the new project.
Or, if your operating system permits, partition more disk space into the file system where your current project is.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Max? No way to really answer that except to say "more". Let "them" know how important this is and insist they add more space.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

raji wrote:Hi Chulett,

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Raji
20GB? Is the 20GB also being used by developers to store files? Run a find command and find all files above some maximum size. Say 20 MB. Validate that those files should be there. If they are files created by jobs and not for jobs, you should create a seperate repository for your data movement files. Update your jobs, and delete the files from the project repository. If they are log files, purge your log files. You can also purge the &PH& directory when jobs are not running. CLEAR.FILE &PH&
Ultramundane
Participant

Post by Ultramundane »

raji wrote:Hi Chulett,

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Raji
20GB? Is the 20GB also being used by developers to store files? Run a find command and find all files above some maximum size. Say 20 MB. Validate that those files should be there. If they are files created by jobs and not for jobs, you should create a seperate repository for your data movement files. Update your jobs, and delete the files from the project repository. If they are log files, purge your log files. You can also purge the &PH& directory when jobs are not running. CLEAR.FILE &PH&