Unable to send mail through E-mail notification

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Amit_111
Participant

Unable to send mail through E-mail notification

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi All,

I have to send an e-mail through Notification activity. But even after the successful execution of the Sequencer Still the e-mail is not sent to the receipent giving the following message in the DS Director logs
#Job name#..JobControl (DSSendMail): Sent message to
'#Target email Id#'
Executed command: /opt/datastage/Ascential/DataStage/Projects/#Project_Name#/sendmail_#Sequencer_Name#.sh
*** No output from command ***
The following parameters in the call to DSSendMail were not mentioned in the file 'dssendmail_template.txt': server
I am not able to understand this message. I have writtern server name, sender/receipent email, and subject in the notification activity.... Is there any thing else to be done in this ''dssendmail_template.txt' file so as to send the mail???

This job executed fine in windows server and the message was sent....but when executed from UNIX server emails are not going.

Thanks in Advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The 'template' message is normal and can be ignored. Is your 'target email id' a job parameter? They can't have spaces in their name, hence the question.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

No, its not parameterized instead it is directly a Hardcoded e-mail Id.........Also it shows that there is "no output from command"......Is there any output which we receive back if the mail is sent successfully...........
Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There would only be an 'output' from the command if it failed. Check with your SysAdmins to see if sendmail is properly configured on that server.
-craig

Amit_111
Participant

Post by Amit_111 »

Hi,

I am the only person here to look at DataStage.....Can you please share with me how to see if sendmail is properly configured on the DS Server...

Many thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not a DataStage thing nor something you can do, but a normal UNIX thing that you need your SysAdmins to check for you.
-craig

deepthi
Participant

Post by deepthi »

Hi
I am getting same warning when i call this utility in a routine. because of this the sequence that calls this routine finishes with warnings.

The warning that i get is

DSLogInfo called from : DSSendMail
Message to be logged is...
> Sent message to 'To:abc@abc.com'
> Executed command: /dsProjects/EDW/sendmail_47514.sh
> *** No output from command ***
> The following parameters in the call to DSSendMail were not mentioned in the file 'dssendmail_template.txt': server

Please advice
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Hi Amit/Deepthi (I presume both are in the same team),
We had this exact issue in a new LINUX server and it went through several iterations with the UNIX team, Mail support team and all that jazz.

Like Craig said, you need to make sure the OS sendmail command works without any issues.

This can be easily performed by the UNIX OS/Admin team. There are a lot of links (Google) to explain how SendMail should be configured and tested.
http://www.computerhope.com/unix/usendmai.htm
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/bl ... endmai.htm

Issues that we had to resolve

1. Mail server was not reachable from the DS Server via Host name but only IP. Admins had to update the Host resolution entries (/etc/resolv.conf)

2. Mail exchange server did not have the DS Server IP in this relay list. That is how our mailing policy works to avoid unwanted clients sending mails through the exchange server. Mail server team had to update the mail server list

3. It then worked for Admin accounts only. Admin team then had to add all DS user accounts to this list.

At each stage someone has to test SendMail to see if it resolved.

After reviewing and confirming this works without any issues, you should try the DS Job that sends mails.

Good luck,
-V