Folder stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

krishna81
Premium Member
Premium Member

Folder stage

Post by krishna81 »

Hi,

Please any one guide me how to use Folder stage to extract number of files from folder.
My requirement is to extract 10 files which contains in one folder and load into one single file.
Note:the file layouts are different from each File.

Can any one help me out in this matter
i will greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Krishna
DeepakCorning
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Folder stage

Post by DeepakCorning »

krishna81 wrote:Hi,

Please any one guide me how to use Folder stage to extract number of files from folder.
My requirement is to extract 10 files which contains in one folder and load into one single file.
Note:the file layouts are different from each File.

Can any one help me out in this matter
i will greatly appreciate.

Thanks
Krishna

Folder stage is kind of good when u have files of lesser size and uniform structures. Its an overhead if u want to use if for files of differenct structure.
Again I am assuming that ur input files are not excel files. the output of the folder stage is two columns , frst one is always the file name (its a key) and the second one contains all the data in it. U will have to split the data in multiple streams and then merge them after making it uniform. I think it will not buy u nethng and its better to have multiple jobs to load the file than to haev single job with many stages.

Gurus,wht di u guys think??
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

krishna81 wrote:Note:the file layouts are different from each File.
Do you mean different metadata?

Forget using of this or that stage for now. The main question is how do you intend to preprocess the files so as to standardize their format?
gateleys
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

If the files' structure can be standardized, its a mere CAT call from the sequential file stage, or use of a link collector, or Overwrite-in-one-job-then-Append-in-another-job-sequential-file.
gateleys