question regarding creation of a new projects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

question regarding creation of a new projects

Post by hobocamp »

Our company is going through a conversion, and as part of that effort, we've created a new project for our datastage jobs. I first created a dev version of the project with no problems - everything runs as it should. Today I've created the UAT version following the same steps. I've tested a few jobs that I've imported into this new project, and they seem to run as expected.

However, I noticed the unix Project level directory is empty - no VOC, VOCLIB, DSPARAMS files, etc., and none of the usual DS_ folders that I assumed were always automatically installed when a new project is created. If anyone can tell me what step I might have missed, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Tom
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You'd need to define what you mean by 'UNIX Project level directory' so we don't go on a wild goose chase. And in order for us to have a clue what steps you may have missed, you'd need to tell us what steps you followed first. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

OK. Sorry that I wasn't clear. By "unix project level directory", I simply meant the path for the new project (the directory where you would normally see the typical DS folders like DS_AUDIT, DS_JOBS, DS_DATATYPES, and files like uvodbc.config, VOC, VOCLIB, etc.).

To create the project, I first created the unix directory where I wanted the project to reside. Then, I signed on to DS Administrator with an admin password, selected "Add" under the Projects tab, and at the prompt typed the name and path of the new project. DS then went through its normal process and created the project, but as I said, I didn't end up with any of the normally installed files and folders in the project directory that I wouls have expected to see.

Hope that makes it a little clearer. Thanks!
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I just wanted to make sure we were actually talking about the 'project' directory itself and not the 'Projects' directory that they all typically live under.

There is no need to pre-create anything for this. I would guess however, since your new project works just fine, that you did not in fact install it in the directory that you pre-created. Only you could verify that.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

Craig -

You were correct. The reason the jobs were running correctly is that the base folders and files were installed, but in a slightly different directory path than what I intended. Thanks for your help.

Tom