Kill Controlling job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NEO
Premium Member
Premium Member

Kill Controlling job

Post by NEO »

Hi,
I have a server job that is being called by a sequencer. I want to kill/Abort or stop the calling sequencer from the server job if a particular condition is not met in the server job. What would be the best way to do this ?
Thanks.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You don't want to do that. Either abort the Server job and then use a Terminator stage to stop the Sequence, or build something to detect this 'condition' in your Server job (userstatus, perhaps? DSGetLinkInfo? depends on the nature of this condition) and do the same. Both downstream of the Job Activity. Or let the Sequence 'automatically handle activities that fail' based on your triggers.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
NEO
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by NEO »

Ideally I wouldnt want to, but there are a lot of existing sequencers that need to be changed in that case. There is a common multiple instance job that runs in many sequencers and by aborting the sequence by killing it from the multiple instance server job will avoid me having to change all the sequencers. If I could deviate from the best pratices for the greater good of time saved with changing legacy jobs, what would be the best approach ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The best approach is to change all the job sequences that need changing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Agree. Take your lumps and do it right. Curious, how many is 'a lot'?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Curious how there's never time to do it right, necessitating allocation of more time to do it again.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
NEO
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by NEO »

I have added additonal functionality to an existing multiple instance job used in all our sequencers which was not foreseen as well not in the scope of the project at the time. This new functionality put added requirements on the sequencer and I was hoping to find the least invasive procedure to be able to acheive the goals set forth. But looks like changing the sequencers is the only way out. We are talking about 120 sequencers. It shouldnt be that bad.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

New requirement, new scope = new billable time. Easy.

Don't EVER let "them" foist a moving target on you - that way lies guaranteed project failure.