How to set the Job params in a Seq. to all the jobs in it??

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ratuldey
Participant

How to set the Job params in a Seq. to all the jobs in it??

Post by ratuldey »

Datastage version : 7.5.2 Server
OS Platform : UNIX

Say, I have 3 Job parameters set for each of my 20 jobs.
These 20 jobs built into a single Job sequence.
The jobs individually has different default values for the 3 Job params.
Now when I club them together in a single Job Sequence, I need to override the Job parameters for the Job Sequence for all these 20 jobs.

Only option that I have is to open each job stage and insert the Job parameters for the overall sequence to each of the params defined for the jobs. This is done through steps:-
1. "Clear all" parameters.
2. "Insert parameter value" from Job Parameters.

This is too tedious and has to be set separately for each of the 20 jobs in the sequence.
My question is - Do we have an easier solution and a much faster one where at once we can override all the Job parameter defaults into each of the 20 Jobs?

Thanks.
Ratul.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Short answer: no. Slightly longer answer: no, but you can skip step 1, it's not needed.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Upgrade to version 8.0 and use parameter sets.

Downgrade to version 7.0 and copy/paste activities in job sequences - they preserve their parameter settings. This functionality has been removed for version 7.5 so that arbitrary expressions may be used to supply parameter values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I wrote a job to automatch the parameter in the sequence to the one in the job being run. This job is a part of Parameter Navigator. I posted some of the code. Do a search. We had about 500 jobs which we added about 6 to 12 parameters. There were 90 or more sequences. I figured this would take weeks to do this manually. It took me a few hours to write this job. This one job easily pays for PNav.
Mamu Kim
ratuldey
Participant

Post by ratuldey »

Hi kduke,

Can you please refer the website name where you have actually posted this code. This would be much helpful. Also if possible, do send me the code in mail/private message.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

the logic behind what I did is in viewtopic.php?t=105954&highlight=JobAct The job itself is part of Parameter Navigator. You need to buy it.
Mamu Kim