Finding field in Datastage repository

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rafik2k
Participant

Finding field in Datastage repository

Post by rafik2k »

Hi,

We are in process of calculating effort estimates of rework in our development due to target datamodel changes.
Changing one field in target model has cascading impact on other jobs due to dependency.There is almost 300+ jobs. Manual process for this would be very time consuming.

So We want to create a report of following information using DS job:

1. to list all DS jobs where a particular target field is used.
2. to find derivation(transformation rule) from the transformer for that target field.

Could anyone of you give any idea or hint on same?
how to achieve this.

thanks in advance
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It is possible to do this via access to the hashed file metadata contents; although it does take quite a bit of work.
I would recommend you start with doing a project export into a .dsx file or, if you are more comfortable with XML, exporting in that format.
The structure of the export file is pretty simple and you should be able to search that file to find occurrences of the column name you are looking for.
In the past I've written DataStage jobs to read and parse this file and once you have a feel for the structure it becomes quite easy to locate and modify certain data. I think this is far safer than muddling about in the repository; since you can import the changed dsx file into a test project and if things don't work out you can just delete the jobs or re-import after fixing the problems. If you modify the repository directly you might muddle things up enough so that the whole project becomes unusable and you need to start again from scratch.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Why not just perform a Usage Analysis (in Manager) on the table that contains the changes?

If you've been diligent with loading table definitions into jobs from the Repository, then Usage Analysis can give you a list of all the jobs that touch that table definition. Indeed, it even reports which columns are used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.