Job control process (pid 4372) has failed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job control process (pid 4372) has failed

Post by asitagrawal »

Hi,

I am having the same problem, as discussed in this post, viewtopic.php?t=106443.

In my case, I am using an After Stage routine, and the job started the routine but did not finish it. And the job even though has completed, finished with Aborted status.
Now why I say that the After stage routine was triggered, is becasue, from that routine I have logged 2 messages, once towards the begining and 2nd in the end. The routine has logged first message but not the 2nd one !

basically I have designed the new After job routine, and after testing it on some jobs, I applied it to all the jobs. The complete sequence of jobs ran successfully twice and now in this third attempt it failed with Job control process (pid 4372) has failed warning message. before I restart and re-run,I would like to understand some possible causes for the error.
Now, if I want to follow up with what is in this post, viewtopic.php?t=106443 , then please guide me to know what is the file naming conventions in &PH& directory.
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It would seem your problem is that your BASIC routine is causing an abort somewhere between your first and second log message. What sort of code do you have between these two lines, anything more than simple assign, condition and loop statements - particularly CALLs to function and other routines?
The file names in the &PH& directory are composed of the program called, the user and the internal date and time when the job was started.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

yes, after the first messaeg, these are also there:

DSGetProjectInfo(..)
DSGetJobInfo(..)
DSExecute(...)
DSMakeJobReport(..)
DSGetNewestLogId(..)
DSGetLogEntry(..)
DSLogInfo(..)

Can I use PRINT stmnt to log some infomational messages, rather than using DSLogInfo(..) ? I believe that using DSLogInfo is very expensive... and aslo if I use PRINT , then I will get a phantom warning ...
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All DataStage background processes (phantoms) redirect stdout and stderr to a file in the &PH& directory. The "phantom warning" message is generated if there is any "unexpected output" therein. Yes, you can use PRINT, but please don't assert without proof that DSLogInfo() is expensive. It isn't.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.