Set auto purge through command line

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Set auto purge through command line

Post by JeroenDmt »

Is it possible to set the auto-purge of the job log for a project through the command line?

I'm trying to make a unix script to set all the project properties in Administrator to make the move to another environment easier. For most properties I can use the dsadmin command, but I don't see any option there for setting the auto purge option.

Is this not possible through the command line or is there a way to do that?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There is no way to set or change the auto-purge settings through the command line. The only documented way is through the graphical interface in the director on a per-job basis or by setting the defaults in the Administrator tool.
There are undocumented methods of changing the autopurge settings and some of them have been published in threads here on DSXchange.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If you are creating a new environment (new project) its the right time to set the auto purge settings in Adminstrator client. As the setting will affect only the newly created job afte that setting. Rathere than fiddling with the script.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JeroenDmt »

kumar_s wrote:If you are creating a new environment (new project) its the right time to set the auto purge settings in Adminstrator client. As the setting will affect only the newly created job afte that setting. Rathere than fiddling with the script.
Yes, I guess that's the best option then. I was hoping I could put all required settings in the Administrator client in a script that then could be used after creating the project to make sure everything would be set correctly.
But in the meantime I also found out that to use dsadmin command for some settings that I need administrator rights to use the commandline, while I can set the same settings when I log in to the client.

So I'm afraid that my idea of providing the initial settings in a script isn't going to work after all. Especially when I can't set all the options with a script even if the script would be ran by an administrator. :(
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

The initial setup doens't require to run through the script, through which you have chance to alter the setting.
You can use the Adminstrator client window GUI to change and set the requried values.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

With a great deal of caution you can add the appropriate entries to the DSParams file. Look at an existing project that has auto-purge set, and seek out the [Auto-Purge] section, which is four lines long including the header. In your script make sure it's not already present, then append to the DSParams file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.