Ways to kill a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

karthikgk0705
Premium Member
Premium Member

Ways to kill a job

Post by karthikgk0705 »

Hi,

I would like to know the different ways to kill a job?

Thanks in advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The fastest way to kill a job is to turn off the power to the server :)

The only officially sanctioned ways to stop a job are:

a) use the "stop" button in the director or from a DS/Basic call to a job you have started.

b) if (a) fails after a given period of time use the "cleanup resources" menu tab in the director to locate the process and terminate it.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

(a) in Arnd's post includes the -stop option of the dsjob command. Note, however, that jobs - particularly parallel jobs - can take literally minutes to respond to such a request; give them that grace time before attempting anything more. Be patient. Like a run request a stop request is asynchronous; it sends a signal to the job which responds to the signal when it can.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
srinivenigalla
Participant

Post by srinivenigalla »

Where you want to kill a job is important. Let us know where you want to kill and why you want to kill
karthikgk0705
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by karthikgk0705 »

srinivenigalla wrote:Where you want to kill a job is important. Let us know where you want to kill and why you want to kill
Let's say that I have opened a Job and I have closed it, even after closing it sometimes i see that the Job is shown as still open with my ID. I which case I know we can give logout through director or Kill in UNIX, any other ideas to get this done are well appreciated.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... that's not 'killing', that would be 'unlocking' - which a search for in the forums would reveal a wealth of information on.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers