Upgrade to DataStage 7.5 or Higher

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Upgrade to DataStage 7.5 or Higher

Post by shiva459 »

Hi all,

One of my client is using DataStage 5.2 on Unix and wants to know the impact of upgrading to 7.5 or higher(IBM IS 8.X). My experience shows that there is no impact what so ever in upgrading to higher versions. Entire code is server jobs.I searched the forum and the message is no impact.

Also, what is the better way to upgrade?. Upgrade the server or install new version and import the backup.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Upgrade to DataStage 7.5 or Higher

Post by gateleys »

I had a smooth sailing upgrading from 7 to 7.5. I don't think there will be issues upgrading from 5.2 as well. However, I strongly suggest that you test some jobs so that every stage available is executed in another server with 7.5.

For your second question, I would suggest installing 7.5 in a new server, if possible. This way, you will be able to keep your old server and jobs intact during the test phase of the new server. Also, if anything goes wrong in the new server, you still have your old server. However, if a physcially different host is not possible, i would suggest that you install new version and import the dsx, or from VC.
gateleys
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You should find an upgrade to 7.5.1 to be quite easy and beneficial - getting you some performance improvements and new features. You will need to regression test your jobs as there may be minor changes between the versions to the way data is handled. I wouldn't move to version 8.0.1 just yet as it has a bigger footprint and more benefits for Enterprise users rather than Server edition users.