RAM Usage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

RAM Usage

Post by asitagrawal »

Hi,

The Hardware of the DataStage server has 12 GB RAM...
but the windows administrator is complaining that the processes are not using more than 2 GB of RAM... He says that the processes are not utilizing the availiable memory ... Why ?

What do I explain him now ? or What do I modify ?
Please suggest.
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The amount of memory used by programs is mostly dependant upon how you write your jobs. There are some possible configuration changes that can make DS use more memory but it is doubtful that they will speed up processing appreciably.

If you design your jobs to use more memory (i.e. loading lookups to memory) you will make your system administrators happy and will also speed up execution.

Perhaps you could explain what you are doing on your system to get speific recommendations.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Funny, mine complain when we do utilize all the available memory. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is a 32-bit application. The highest address you can access in any one memory space with a signed 32-bit integer is, curiously enough, 2GB.

To address more memory than that requires some fairly fancy coding.

But, then, why should it grab more than it needs?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

ray.wurlod wrote:But, then, why should it grab more than it needs?
Yes, even I agree with this statement... but how to justify that there is no place in DataStage where I can configure a top limit if memeory usage...

The Win Admin wants to know where all in DataSatge, can the memeory usage be configured ??
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Also to highlight the complaint of the Win Admin... he says, that the processess are not using all available memory and causing high page faults... Why ??

Please advice.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Tell the Win Admin nowhere

DataStage is a 32-bit application. It uses malloc() to request only the memory it requires.

Why is that a problem?

If your Win Admin can't understand that, a job with Micro$oft is probably beckoning.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

asitagrawal wrote:...not using all available memory and causing high page faults...
A page fault occurs when a page requested by a program is not in memory and needs to be fetched from elsewhere. Often this is corrupted and misinterpreted to mean that the system is paging (particularly in Windows environments). Note that paging is very different from generating page faults. If your system is paging while there is still unused memory then you will need to consult a system administrator who understands such things on Windows.

IF a DS job only needs n-Mb to run, then trying to allocate it more memory won't magically make it run faster. As most DS job use files (as input, output or intermediate hashed files), if you have free system memory you will be better served in having that space used for file I/O buffering than by artificially inflating DataStage tunable values.