How to improve performance of job(having one insert and one

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pagerakesh
Participant

How to improve performance of job(having one insert and one

Post by pagerakesh »

Hi friends

I have a job, inwhich i pull around 71k records through two transformers, each having one lookups and one lookup creates a hash file, if i start the job, initially it runs at 130 record per sec but gradually dcreases to 4 rec/sec, from the second transformer i insert aswell as update to a table having around 160 columns,
please help me in resolving this issue, this job takes only 10 min in one server but takes 12 hrs in other server..

thnaks
rakesh
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Rakesh,

although you haven't specified your source or target, when jobs slow down over time it is most often due to the output stage. If you are writing to a database, it might be that there are indices being built in the background or activities like buffering or rollback/before images.

Try using a sequential file as a test output stream and monitor performance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: How to improve performance of job(having one insert and

Post by ray.wurlod »

pagerakesh wrote:this job takes only 10 min in one server but takes 12 hrs in other server..
What's different between the servers?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vikasjawa
Participant

Re: How to improve performance of job(having one insert and

Post by vikasjawa »

What's different between the servers? ...[/quote]

Hi,
The difference may be one of them:
1) Hardware configuration: The other server would have less disk/swap space/processing power.
2) Other Jobs may be running at the same time,resulting in resource sharing.
Vikas Jawa
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

We know all kinds of things that may be different. The hope here is that Rakesh puts some effort into determining what is different betweeen his environments. This is not something we can do for him other than to guide. However, if causes can be determined we can help with the resolution.

And if a change of 'server' also means a change in database instances - for example, from a development instance to a test instance - that opens up even more areas to investigate.

Rakesh - you need to determine the bottle-neck in your job, what 'section' or portion of the job is the culprit here. As Arnd notes, that's typically the target database and it's easy enough to check. Replace your target stage with a Sequential File stage and see what happens.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
asitagrawal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by asitagrawal »

Hi Rakesh,

Just re-iterating what Ray and chulett have said,

1. replace the output with the Seq File and then use the LOAD for loading the target database tables.
2. put @FALSE constraint in the output, to determine the perfromance of fetching from the input.

Analyse the above factors and then see the factors for improvements.

HTH,
Asit
Share to Learn, and Learn to Share.
thamark
Premium Member
Premium Member

Try writing into sequential file rather than Database

Post by thamark »

Try writing into sequential file instead of database Insert/Update(Upsert), since upsert is costlier operation to do.

If this method runs in minutes then you can try to identify operation type and do it using individual stage.
Hmm i will fill this when ever i get one