While loading data from Sybase to Oracle/Sql last byte is tr

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vijaydev
Participant

While loading data from Sybase to Oracle/Sql last byte is tr

Post by vijaydev »

Hi,

While loading data from Sybase to Oracle/Sql last byte is truncating for the fields having Korean characters what is the problem how to resolve this problem.

Help to resolve this problem...
Vijay
rverharen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Oracle type Varchar2(CHAR)

Post by rverharen »

make sure the oracle column type = varchar2 (char) instead of varchar2 (byte)

import the table definition again and see that the length in datastage is 4 times the lenght of the column in oracle (use this new length in your stages)
vijaydev
Participant

Post by vijaydev »

i have 190 jobs for all i have to modify or any other way ....

i heared that one korean characters will stored in two bytes, i our case the call centre people they are copy pasting the descrtiopns in the front ent applications at that time some korean characters are storing half byte only i want to remove that particular broken character how to remove the broken character.

Help me
Vijay
rverharen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rverharen »

vijaydev wrote:i have 190 jobs for all i have to modify or any other way ....

i heared that one korean characters will stored in two bytes, i our case the call centre people they are copy pasting the descrtiopns in the front ent applications at that time some korean characters are storing half byte only i want to remove that particular broken character how to remove the broken character.

Help me
use the basic function 'Change' in your derivation in the transformer if you want to remove a specific character
do question yourself if that is what you want because next time you get another character and you will be getting the same problem
vijaydev
Participant

Post by vijaydev »

rverharen wrote:
vijaydev wrote:i have 190 jobs for all i have to modify or any other way ....

Help me
use the basic function 'Change' in your derivation in the transformer if you want to remove a specific character
do question yourself if that is what you want because next time you get another character and you will be getting the same problem
i know that , becuase i dont know the korean language to under stand also that way i removed ? using ereplace function its given good results for some rows for some rows the last byte is truncated. i am bit confused with this how do and its very urgent for me also
Vijay
VCInDSX
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by VCInDSX »

Based on your description so far, it appears that your data is "truncated"/"lost" when it is stored in the target "Oracle" database, correct?
The front-end apps are storing the data into the Sybase database, correct?

Do you have any viewing application to check this at the target end?

Did you try to "peek" (debug) at the different stages to check where the bytes are getting lost?

It looks like you are definitely getting Unicode data feeds. Is the target server NLS enabled?
I haven't worked on Unicode data handling in Datastage, but will be doing soon. But based on past experience in Unicode data on Sybase, NVarchar is the type that will handle multi-byte characters without you having to allocate the extra bytes.

My thoughts...
-V