Meta Data Plug-in and Oracle version compatibility question

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Meta Data Plug-in and Oracle version compatibility question

Post by hobocamp »

I currently have the Oracle 8 & 9 clients installed on my pc (and therefore when I go to the Import Plug-in for Meta Data in DS those two are available to be selected in the drop-down menu).

I now have some Oracle 10 table definitions I need to import. Do I need have to have the Oracle 10 client installed to be able to import these definitions, or should they be backwards-compatible? Currently when I try to import them (after selecting Oracle 9 in the Import Plug-in) I get a "TNS:Could not resolve service name" error.

Thanks for any input!

Tom
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

It should work. You can access 10g using 9i client. Check the tnsnames.ora file. Do you have that particular sid set up?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
JeroenDmt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Meta Data Plug-in and Oracle version compatibility quest

Post by JeroenDmt »

I think you can import them in Datastage without a problem as long as your Oracle client can read them.
The error "TNS: Could not resolve service name" has nothing to do with the database being Oracle 10 though. It means that it cannot connect to the database because it cannot find the database you specified in the connection parameters in the Oracle stage.
Check if you spelled the database source name correctly and if you can connect to the Oracle 10 database with the same credentials using your Oracle client.
hobocamp wrote:I currently have the Oracle 8 & 9 clients installed on my pc (and therefore when I go to the Import Plug-in for Meta Data in DS those two are available to be selected in the drop-down menu).

I now have some Oracle 10 table definitions I need to import. Do I need have to have the Oracle 10 client installed to be able to import these definitions, or should they be backwards-compatible? Currently when I try to import them (after selecting Oracle 9 in the Import Plug-in) I get a "TNS:Could not resolve service name" error.

Thanks for any input!

Tom
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

That's good to know that it should work without the new client.

I do have that SID in my tnsnames.ora file. Here's the way it looks:

dwtst =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = pjcuxdev)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA = (SERVICE_NAME = dwtst)(SERVER = DEDICATED))
)
hobocamp
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by hobocamp »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tested the connection to the Oracle 10 tables, and I am able to access them through my Oracle client. So I'm still confused as to why I wouldn't be able to access them through the DS plug-in.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I hope you checked the TNSNAMES.ORA file on your datastage server. The entry looks alright. Can you login, from sqlplus from your datastage server, to your database?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.