Difference Between Domain and Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

opdas
Participant

Difference Between Domain and Server

Post by opdas »

Hi
In the 8.0.1 version when we login it asks for a Domain and Server.
What is the difference between the two.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Deployment domain consists of a metadata server (hosted by a WebSphere Application Server instance), one or more DataStage servers, one DB2, Oracle or SQL Server instance containing the Repository database, IBM Information Server clients (administration console, reporting console and DataStage clients) and, optionally, other Information Server applications (such as Information Analyzer, Business Glossary, Relational Architect, Information Services Director, Federation Server).

A server is a provider of service(s) in a service-oriented architecture.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds_teg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_teg »

Ray , thanks for the reply .But , still i didnt understand it .Could you please more descriptive ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, the domain is IBM Information Server and its associated database, and the services exposed through a WebSphere Application Server. Technically the domain includes all of the Information Server products that are installed as well.

The server, for DataStage purposes, is the server on which DataStage server components are installed.

There may be more than one DataStage server in a domain (all managed by the same Information Server).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.