Hashed File Creation.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

theverma
Participant

Hashed File Creation.

Post by theverma »

Hello Friends,

I have two doubts regarding the creation of Hashed files :
(1) Can we create Hashed Files on a Network drive and then access them from the Network drive only?
(2) Which one option is better whether to use Clear File or to use Delete File before creation,while creating a Hashed File?

I search through the Forum and found many posts but the doubts are still not clear.

Please suggest on this.
Right now we have two sequences running on one server.There is a proposal to add one more server and start running each sequence on seperate server both sharing same network drive.In that case one sequence will create Hashed Files on Shared Network Drive and the other sequence will access those hashed files from the Network Drive.

Are there any chances of error while creating/accessing the Hashed Files on network drive.

Thanks
Arun Verma
rafik2k
Participant

Post by rafik2k »

1) as long as your server identifies Network drive, you can easily create and access hash file using "Use directory path"
2) I believe clear file before wrting is faster that delete file before create as in later option it invloves overhead of deleting and creating the file.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

(1) Don't ever complain about performance or network problems - you will encounter both.

(2) Clear file is VERY fast. Faster than anything with hashed files. It is not a "transactional" process.

There are substantial dangers associated with your two servers, one hashed file approach if the hashed files will be updated by both. Locks are stored in memory on the server effecting the update and thus are not visible to the other server. You could lose updates.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
baglasumit21
Participant

Re: Hashed File Creation.

Post by baglasumit21 »

theverma wrote:Hello Friends,

I have two doubts regarding the creation of Hashed files :
(1) Can we create Hashed Files on a Network drive and then access them from the Network drive only?
(2) Which one option is better whether to use Clear File or to use Delete File before creation,while creating a Hashed File?

I search through the Forum and found many posts but the doubts are still not clear.

Please suggest on this.
Right now we have two sequences running on one server.There is a proposal to add one more server and start running each sequence on seperate server both sharing same network drive.In that case one sequence will create Hashed Files on Shared Network Drive and the other sequence will access those hashed files from the Network Drive.

Are there any chances of error while creating/accessing the Hashed Files on network drive.

Thanks
Yes you can create a hash file on network drive, and if it is shared by both the server then you can access same file from two different jobs on different servers. Also its a better practise to clear hash file before writing
SMB
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is nothing, in this scenario, to prevent one job from clearing the hashed file while the other job (on the other server) is attempting to read from it.

Don't update/clear hashed files on network drives.
Don't even PUT hashed files on network drives.

UniVerse can manage locking across the network via UV/Net. This is one of the things they took out when DataStage Engine diverged from UniVerse at version 6.0.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.