Wait for File Activity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Wait for File Activity

Post by mystuff »

Wait for File Activity can be used to wait for files to appear, is there any ADVISABLE time limit to use this stage.

i.e any under 4 hrs , we can use this stage or anything under 1 day etc..
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Thats completely upto you and how much time window is allowed for a file to appear by your requirements.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
mystuff
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mystuff »

I am using files to synchronize extracts from different clusters. If in case extract fails from any cluster and it take days to fix it, then we might be waiting for days. If everything goes well, then we might have to wait for 2-8 hrs.

Is it good to involve Enterprise scheduler for these scenarios (or) to use crontab (or) use wait for file activity
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Depends upon your inhouse standards. If there is an enterprise scheduler, go for it.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Also depends on how often you want to perform the check. The DataStage job with the WFF stage will be running constantly over those days, checking for the file every 8 seconds from what I recall. It may be more appropriate to only check once a day or hour or some other configurable period.

Some people do that with the WFF stage set to wait 0 seconds to get a one-time check and then loop the job with the stage. Me, I'd probably do something at the 'Enterprise Scheduler' level and then have that call the processing job once it sees the file show up.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers