DS administrator help !

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

hamzaqk
Participant

DS administrator help !

Post by hamzaqk »

Hi,

i have some problems when i try to view the properties of a particular project. i log in as a admin . am able to create a project . but its just does nothing and goes to non responding when it come to the properties view ?

just wondering are there any particular check list i need to go through to solve this problem or its just a bug ?

ciao
nick.bond
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by nick.bond »

Is this a new install of datastage?

Is this the first project to be created?

If it's a new install did you create a project during the installation?
Regards,

Nick.
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

Yes nick its a new install and i did create a project during the installation.. i tried creating a freash project and gives me the same problem

cheers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you running on Windows XP and, if so, do you have the requisite patches (for DataStage) installed?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

yes i am running of xp .. not sure what these patches r ? and how can i get them ?

thanks
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

Ascential recommends you do not install Windows XO SP2 on a machine running the DataStage Client software at this time.
Windows XP SP2 was released publicly by Microsoft on August 16th, 2004. Microsoft has since published several lists of over 100 applications from 3rd party software vendors that have issues with SP2, ranging from required re-configuration to outright loss of functionality. Ascential's DataStage product is also affected by this service pack.

Ascential has discovered as part of our QA process that the DataStage software can be affected in two ways by the installation of Windows XP SP2:
1. The DataStage Client to Server communication can be disrupted by the new SP2 firewall. This issue simply occurs because by default the port used for client-server intercommunication is not open. A document detailing how to work around this is available on the Ascential Developer Network, or by calling Ascential Customer Care.

2. The DataStage Client: when designing sequencer jobs (in particular the job, routine and user variable activity stage editors) experiences issues opening the stage editors. Ascential is presently working on a solution to this issue.

As a result of the two listed issues, Ascential recommends that our customers do not upgrade to Windows XP SP2 on machines running the DataStage Client software at this time. Ascential will inform our customers when a patch is available either from Microsoft or Ascential to resolve this issue and allow you to upgrade safely.

Please note that while Windows XP is an officially supported platform for the Ascential DataStage Client software it is not an officially supported platform for the Ascential DataStage Server software

so you just need to install the client patches for it ..

thanks all for replying :D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:!: Just in case this confuses anyone, the posted block of text is pretty darn old and came out shortly after SP2 did in 2004. There is no longer any such recommendation to 'not install Service Pack 2' as the patch that corrects this has been available for quite some time.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers